Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Inka is Overdue

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Today I realized that Inka is 73 or 74 days pregnant going buy the last day that she was housed with a female (imposter) since she turned out to be male. The male died not sure why and was told that some females will actually kill the male after they mate, is that true? I have not found any truth in it yet but searching and learning more about guinea pigs. We found out that the male died less than a week after being removed from Inka's cage.
That was going off topic, anyway Inka is overdue to have her babies and I called the vet this morning and was given a another vets number one that specializes only with guinea pigs and was told that so long as she is not showing any signs of complications or toxcemia that it's ok to just wait. However if she does not have them by next tuesday or develops any sign of things being a miss to bring her in right away which means I will have to take her for a 2 hour drive to the vet that specializes in guinea pigs. I know that signs of Toxemia is furr standing up on ends and laying around not eating or drinking and signs of trouble durring labor is bleeding more than a couple of drops and or squealing loudly during contractions is and her pelvis bones have already spread. Is there anything else to look for?

Right now Inka is just resting but still getting up and eating and drinking alot so it does not apear as though she showing anysigns. As for popcorning in her cage she not as much as she did last week so her moving around as decreased so I know she is getting close to time.

Is there any veggie or fruit that she can have that will make having the babies easier on her. I gave her a slice of apple 2 small peices of carrots and lots of romaine lettuce and a tomato and she has lots of timonthy hay and alfalfa pellets. Anything else that she may need?

Any advice really would be appreciated thanks in advance.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
That's silly that the sows will kill the boars.

Has she had an x ray or ultrasound to verify that she is pregnant and the babies are still alive? Not sure how to put this nicely but the fetuses can calcify and remain in their uterus.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
One method of determining toxemia is to smell her breath. If it smells like fingernail polish remover, she most likely has toxemia.

Females do not attack and kill males after mating. That is a myth.

There are no veggies/fruits that will make bearing her litter easier. Sorry.

She will have them when you least expect, probably in the middle of the night.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
We haven't done X-rays but she is visibly pregnant and you can see and feel the babies moving still and the vet also said that so long as there is still babies moving that its ok to wait another week since she also has no signs of complications. I guess I am more wondering if the vets are right, I mean if it really is ok to just wait and let nature take its course sort a speak? Or is their something else I can do for her like a bath or other fruits or veggies that may help?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
A bath would only stress her out probably. There's nothing you can do but wait - unless she has visible complications and the vet can give her a shot of something. If you don't know when she conceived exactly, you could be inducing premature babies. She will have them when she is ready.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Or is their something else I can do for her like a bath or other fruits or veggies that may help?
She will have them when her body says it time, in the meantime, just have patience. She's close to delivery, she's big, tired, grouchy, etc. and giving her a bath is not going to help her with those things except maybe to aggrevate her more. And as I stated earlier, there are no veggies/fruits that will help either. You could give her a bit extra since the pups are getting their nutrition from her but there are no veggies or fruits that will put her into labor or speed things along or even to prevent complications.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Thanks about the fruit and veggie info. What about herbs? Like penny royal, which in humans is used for menstraul cramps and can induce labor and cause misscariages. In case you haven't heard of it, Penny royal is an old Indian remody for women with really painful menstrual cramps. It works really good aside from Demerol! LOL

4piggers

Cavy Slave
Thanks about the fruit and veggie info. What about herbs? Like penny royal, which in humans is used for menstraul cramps and can induce labor and cause misscariages. In case you haven't heard of it, Penny royal is an old Indian remody for women with really painful menstrual cramps. It works really good aside from Demerol! LOL

I would say no, human bodies and guinea pig bodies dont work the same.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Ok thank you I will just let her rest and relax and hope that no complications appear and that she delivers her pups easily. Patience is key, I know this and I have not been messing with her to much other checking on her, petting her and not picking her up cause I don't want to stress her out at all.
I was just curious, and I will update about when the babies or born and how many and things went.

Skeetersmom

Cavy Slave
How is Inka doing today? No babies still from Skittles either. They are kicking like crazy today though and I think that she is getting so big that she is having a hard time walking around. She is so wide that it has to be hard to hobble around! I gave her her veggies right in front of the tent she has been sleeping in. Felt sorry for her having to move around too much!

Hopefully Inka is doing well!

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Inka is doing well, but no babies yet, The babies are kicking like crazy here too. I was feeling around a little atleast as much as Inka would let me without picking her up and it feels like their is only two so that could be why it is taking so long for her to have babies. I will be away from home most of tomorrow so maybe she will have them then.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Just a little upate; Inka has not had her baby(s)yet, the vet says she not as far along as I thought, however she should have them in about 2-3 weeks. but the babies are visibly moving and have been for about 3 weeks already this is weird. I thought that once you can actually visibly see babies moving then its only about 2 weeks till they are born?

Sponge

Cavy Slave
I'm glad it's nothing serious and just a case of a waiting game. It must be so stressful on you as the owner too. I don't know what I would do if I had an accidental guinea pig pregnancy. But you sound like you have the good sense to keep an eye on her and make sure she has veggies and water as nearby as possible.

All the best of luck!

Skeetersmom

Cavy Slave
Still no babies here yet either! Getting closer though I think!

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Inka had only 1 baby and it was a stillborn, she is doing fine. It looks like she is searching for the baby though.

Sponge

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry to hear it was a stillborn but I'm glad Inka is safe and well.

Skeetersmom

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry. I'm am glad that Inka is ok though.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Thank you, I am also glad that Inka is doing good, a little dissapointed as I was looking forward to seeing a baby guinea pig running around, but for most part I am glad the pregnancy worry thing is over.

Bubba_Munchy

Cavy Slave
My piggy Bubba Munchy is also Pregnant and about 4 days overdue. Her Pelvis is fully separated and the babies are still kicking, it has been like this for 2-3 days.
Hopefully she will have them soon, she seems quite happy. But i have discovered a tiny lump on the front leg, but it looks quite scabby so i might just leave it if it is healing. She mmihgt have gotten into a fight with another piggy. :)
This is her first pregnancy and she is 8 months old. Everything seems to be going fine, just the waiting game i guess. hahaha. lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.