Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage How do I build a closed cage?

zigyfizy

Cavy Slave
I wanted to build a C&C cage however, my dogs would love a guinea snack! How can i put a top of it that would open and shut?

Seonta

Cavy Slave
you use zip ties for the top (on one side, usually one of the long sides). The opposite side would be the side you lifted up on. If it is a really long cage you might want to do the top in two to three sections. I am working on a 2X6 and plan to have two parts to the top (each 3 grids long) that lift up. It would be six grids in each half of the lid that would be lifted up. There are other ways too... take a look at the gallery section for ideas.

wheekers01

Cavy Slave
Congrats on wanting to give your pig space!

I had a 2x3 ( not is use, R.I.P Mog). My dad helped me. We created the C&c sides then we layed it out zip-tied the top 6 together. Next, we zip-tied it to the sides. We zip-tied one (front and Center) a little looser so it would hinge. (You could hinge them all so they'll open too)

We found a clip-y thing and then used that to secure it. It works/ed great!

When I get my new pig(s) ( adopting, don't worry) I will put them in it...but expand it probably so it meets requirements! Good Luck! Hope I helped!:rolleyes:

trump_cinnamon

Cavy Slave
You can use shelving, with the method of zip-ties, as mentioned before.

Bdmellohead

Cavy Slave
I have a naughty dog too and I use TONS of zip ties, like seriously I went a little overboard on them, and I use a support beam of pvc pipe. You can get the pipe at any hardware store. My dog is only 10 lbs but It's not worth any risk. He used to balance on the top and his little legs wobbled all over. He gave up though after about a month.

blessedbeingmom

Cavy Slave
Our cage is 2 cubes by 5 cubes. We went to Home Depot and bought two of the 8 foot long, 16 inch wide closet shelves. My DH cut them to be 4 inches longer than the width of our cage (so there would be a 2 inch overhang on either side). One is attached along the entire back side of the cage with zip ties. There are 3 zip ties along the back end and one on each side of the back shelf. (It is permanently attached.) The "lip" part of the shelf overhangs the back side. Then the other shelf is placed in front of the back one, and attached with 14 zip ties to work as hinges, so we can lift this one up, and lay it back over the other one when it's time to care for Skittles. In the front, DH has a clip that looks sort of like the one at the end of a leash, and it is used as a sort of latch to keep the top closed. There is a picture in my gallery & if you click on my user name, I think you can find it that way. Hope this helps!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.