Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello, fellow piggie fans!

Sarah'sPiggies

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!

I'm a new Guinea Pig owner from Kentucky... Well, not "new" new but after my first guinea pig passed away, I waited a few months and then decided I just couldn't live my life without a piggie (as my toddler affectionately calls them) around.

So, I now have two young brothers that my two and a half year old unfortunately named "Bach" (I think he was trying to call him Box but it didn't come out right; I think "Bach" is cooler anyway... I love the classical composer!) and "Toe" (because the first time he held him, the cavy ran up my son's shirt and he got very freaked out; I explained his nails were a little long and it was just his toes that felt funny, so naturally that had to be the cavy's name!).

They are young - 10 weeks old, they think - but I rescued them from a shelter. They were taken in from a negectful situation. They're cuties but they don't look a thing like each other so I'm wondering if the original owner just assumed they were "brothers".

Anyway, they are happy and healthy now. It's wonderful to own a "piggie" again! I am still adjusting to their different personalities... Chris, my first guinea pig, was very vocal and fiesty, announcing his cravings in the middle of the night if he heard one of us coming down the stairs to use the bathroom and "talking" to us as we groomed him. Little Bach and Toe are very quiet, at least for the moment. Bach is very calm and exceptionally sweet, but I think Toe is a little spunkier - he will run like you're the Boogeyman when you reach in to grab him and is the first to crawl up your shirt and hide out in your hair, while Bach won't even twitch if you reach for him and will calmly sit in your lap for as long as you let him.

I'll post pics soon... Bach is a short-hair golden and white and Toe is a short hair brown, black and white.

jenniwat001

Cavy Slave
Welcome! To you and the piggies and your toddler, he sounds adorable!

Bach and Toe will take some time to get used to you and will become fairly vocal (mine went from church mice to the dawn chorus!).

Me and my friend took two sisters and they look like different coloured versions of each other, but there babies (they were in the shelter with them) all looked completely different from each other so who knows!

Good luck with the little fellas and I hope you learn from this site- it's great!

Sarah'sPiggies

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much! :heart:

The little ones are beginning to realize that I mean treats and food, I think... when my husband sits them in his lap they don't move an inch but if I set them in mine, they freeze for a second, then nose around under my shirt (and in between my ta-ta's, the little pervs! :p) and seem like they're searching for something. They particularly love tiny slices of apple and carrot sticks!

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC! I hope you enjoy the site and learn a ton. Congrats on the adoption and your piggies sound so cute!

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I have two full sisters that look absolutely nothing alike (confirmed, as they were born in a rescue). One is a lemon agouti shorthair and the other is a dark chocolate abbyssinian/sheltie. So siblings do not necessarily look alike.

Definitely read over the stickies here, especially regarding cages/space and diet/nutrition. Apples and carrots should be fed in pretty limited amounts. You will probably find that there is a lot to learn here, even if you've had pigs before.

claire

Cavy Slave
Thanks for that, Akstrohm. My boys are a short haired DEW and a golden agouti abby mix (without a single white hair). I was told they were brothers at the rescue but I was never convinced as their faces are also very different. Now I shall go back to calling them brothers. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.