Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Could Patch be pregnant?

greybear36

Cavy Slave
Patch is 2 years old and has never had a litter. I got a new buddy Fudge for her just over 4 weeks ago who is a neutered male. I know that he is neutered because the vet checked him out for me when I got him. I got him from a pet shop as until I discovered this site I didn't know rescues existed and will never buy from a shop again. The pet shop had had him neutered so after quarantine I put them together and they were fine. Anyway this morning Patch looks huge. She has a swollen belly especially on one side. I am beside myself with worry and guilt (that I bought from a pet shop)as I am terrified of losing her. How could this happen? I thought I was being responsible getting a neutered male. I have made a vets appointment for tomorrow morning. If she is pregnant is there any way of saving her and how could it happen in the first place if Fudge is neutered??
I have uploaded 2 photos but have struggled to get a photo from above as she is lying down a lot
Sorry this thread is so long

Skeetersmom

Cavy Slave
She does look pregnant to me. I also have never heard of a pet store neutering there guinea pigs. I wouldn't trust your vet much either if she is pregnant. Good Luck, maybe you can find a good vet to check her out. How long have to actually had the male with her? They usually do not show until they are around 4 weeks pregnant and sounding from you message, you had him in quarantine first and it doesn't seem that long. If you got him 4 weeks ago and had him quarantined for the last 3 weeks like he should have been, she would only be 1 week pregnant and would definately not be showing.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
You can't really determine pregnancy from photos alone. How long had Fudge been neutered before he moved in with Patch?

If she is pregnant, she can deliver by C-section, but you'll need to find and experienced exotics vet to perform that procedure.

greybear36

Cavy Slave
Actually I have had Fudge longer than I realised. About 7 weeks. It's really flown by. I quarantined him for 3 weeks. Was this not long enough? I have just contacted the pet shop I bought him from and they have assured me he is neutered. I cannot see any testicles. Should I try a different vet as there is another one locally? Maybe get both of them checked out. I am really worried about her. She is still quite lively and has been popcorning today. I have separated them today just incase I am wrong (fingers crossed)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
There are other things to consider here besides pregnancy. Especially if she's with a neutered boar. If you got the pig 7 weeks ago, quarantined for 3 then he's only been with her for 4 weeks and that's not long enough to show like that unless she's having a super huge litter of pups. Sperm die off within 2 weeks after being neutered so a 3 week quarantine would have ensured the sperm were dead.

I would schedule a vet visit because you could be dealing with an issue that doesn't have anything to do with pregnancy at all. She could have an abscess, tumor or even ovarian cysts.

greybear36

Cavy Slave
I have an appointment at a different vets tomorrow. I am taking both piggies so that I can confirm that Fudge is properly neutered and to see if Patch is pregnant or not. Yesterday she looked normal at lap time. Today she is swollen with a lump on each side. One is bigger than the other. I will let you all know how it goes. I'm not going to sleep tonight, I can tell you that!! Thanks for the advice :weepy:

jenniwat001

Cavy Slave
We were convinced our rescue pig Scarbble was pregnant shortly after we got her-she had a massive belly, even the vet thought she was pregnant for a while however five months later and no pups, Scrabble is a very happy, non pregnant totally healthy pig. I hope things go well at the vets. My Scrabble is just fat (although my other piggy is not) it seems that she just gets to the food first now she has a rival!

greybear36

Cavy Slave
I hope it's the same for us. Just been cuddling her and she is definitely not herself. She is very nervous and yelps when she is picked up or if her belly is touched. She is usually very tame and very active so something is obviously wrong. Should hopefully know a lot more tomorrow :unsure:

charliecharlie

Cavy Slave
Maybe pick her up with the "elevator box" I read about in another post. It's a box with two holes in it--the piggie walks in, you cover the holes in the box with the piggie inside, then lift it up out of the cage. That way, you won't hurt her by touching her belly.

greybear36

Cavy Slave
That's a really good idea. She's fine once she's being petted but just doesn't like being picked up.
Also I forgot to mention she is still eating, drinking and pooping fine just a lot quieter in herself

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I've never heard of a pet shop neutering their males. Did you ask which vet they used and proof?

It could be the vet botched the neuter, if they did it. It happened to someone on GL. The vet left in one testicle. Boars can retract their testicles so it looks like they aren't descended or don't have any.

Hopefully the vet can confirm she isn't pregnant.

greybear36

Cavy Slave
Well there's good news and bad news. As far as the vet can tell Patch isn't pregnant. He examined her thoroughly and she seems fine. The bad news is that he found one testicle tucked away inside Fudge so it looks like he hasn't neen neutered properly. I phoned the pet shop and my friend who works there (she recommended them) and neither can give me any answers. In fact I have fell out with my friend quite badly as I feel she has let me down. When I confronted her and told her she could have killed Patch she said I was being overdramatic and Guinea Pigs have litters all the time. The one thing I have learned from this is never to buy from a pet shop, ever again!! (And maybe to stick with females as this is my first ever male)
Anyway I am now in the situation that there is still a possibilty that Patch is pregnant but not showing yet and am still just as worried.
Fudge is booked in to be neutered properly on Friday and they are still separate. They had been together 4 weeks though so any advice on what to look out for would be appreciated.
The vet has advised me to weigh Patch every week and to keep them separate for 4 weeks after the op.
He said I am right to be concerned and to keep my eye on her and bring her back if I'm at all worried. He didn't even charge me a consultation fee. I was very impressed with this vets and their caring attitude.
Hopefully the vet is right and it is just middle-aged spread :eek:ptimist:

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
If he hasn't been neutered and they've been together for four weeks I can't honestly imagine there's much chance she isn't pregnant. It's good to know that at least it's not an abscess or cyst or other issue.

Strictly out of curiosity, what kind of pet store is it that you got Fudge from? Is it a mom & pop shop or more of a chain? If they only removed one testicle it rather sounds to me like it was a sort of haphazard "operation" performed in a back room somewhere and Fudge is lucky to be alive himself.

greybear36

Cavy Slave
It's a family pet shop yes. Do you think it would be worth reporting them? And if so who to? I am very upset about this and am not sleeping through the worry. I'm glad I've found a better vets at least

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I'm also glad there are no tumors, cysts or other problems. I hope for her sake and yours that she isn't pregnant.

Do you have an ASPCA or Animal Control you can call? If they botched his neuter then they could have botched other neuters. Sometimes Mom and Pop type petstores can be worse than chain stores.

greybear36

Cavy Slave
We have the RSPCA (Royal Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Animals). I will call them and let them know of what's happened.
Can anyone advise me of what to look out for with Patch? How much weight gain? Any other signs that she could be pregnant? When would the signs start? She is a reasonably slim pig and has recently gained weight which is what started me worrying in the first place

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Right now all you can do is monitor for steady weight gain. You won't really know until she actually were to start showing which is about 6 weeks into the pregnancy.

greybear36

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks. How much weight should she put on a week?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks. How much weight should she put on a week?
That's the thing, there is no set amount. If you weigh once or twice a week at the same time of day and keep seeing a gradual increase then it could indicate pregnancy. But that won't mean she's actually pregnant. You are basically in for the "wait and see" game. If she's never been pregnant before, she's going to be high risk because of her age. I'm glad you found a really good vet.

greybear36

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks for your help. I will weigh her twice a week and see how it goes. I am nervous for Fudge now for Friday but the vet has reassured me that he neutered 4 male guinea pigs last week alone and does the operation regularly and although Fudge has obviously already been operated on before that his success rate is very high. He has told me he won't need to be starved and to bring in some pellets and a piece of his favourite vegetable for afterwards as they won't let him go home later on unless he is eating and drinking ok. I will still be nervous though but I would like Patch and Fudge back together in the end as they are trying to get to each other through the bars at the moment!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.