PDA

View Full Version : Vet How far do you drive & how soon does your vet see your piggies?

blessedbeingmom
05-18-09, 09:24 am
We've been calling around this morning trying to find a vet to see our remaining guinea pig. Our family vet will see him, but he doesn't have any training in cavies. We found one that will see him, but the earliest appointment is Friday, and he's nearly an hour and a half away (and that's assuming the traffic is good, but we have to pass through New Orleans to get there, so that's always very iffy). He is in Metairie. We found another vet who specializes in exotics (in Mandeville, about an hour away), and they actually made us an appointment for this afternoon, but then called back & the vet won't be in this week. They gave us the number for another vet who would see him in Mandeville, but we don't really know anything about this vet.
How far do you typically drive to your piggy vet, and when you call for an appointment, how long is it before your piggy can be seen? I've got to go to work soon, and I am just tired and sad and frustrated right now.

Paula
05-18-09, 09:30 am
I have a phenomenal exotics vet that's only about 20 miles from my house. They will see me right away in emergency situations and almost always are able to see the pets on the same day.

blessedbeingmom
05-18-09, 09:36 am
We are unfortunately in a relatively small town here.

new piggie
05-18-09, 11:40 am
We've been calling around this morning trying to find a vet to see our remaining guinea pig. Our family vet will see him, but he doesn't have any training in cavies. We found one that will see him, but the earliest appointment is Friday, and he's nearly an hour and a half away (and that's assuming the traffic is good, but we have to pass through New Orleans to get there, so that's always very iffy). He is in Metairie. We found another vet who specializes in exotics (in Mandeville, about an hour away), and they actually made us an appointment for this afternoon, but then called back & the vet won't be in this week. They gave us the number for another vet who would see him in Mandeville, but we don't really know anything about this vet.
How far do you typically drive to your piggy vet, and when you call for an appointment, how long is it before your piggy can be seen? I've got to go to work soon, and I am just tired and sad and frustrated right now.

I live in New Orleans. I think there is a Vet in Slidell. Let me check it out and I will get back to you!

new piggie
05-18-09, 11:42 am
This is one in Slidell Blessedbeingmom it says that they travel but you could always call and see if they have an office. Hope it helps.

Will see exotic pets. Diana M. Joyner DVM Veterinary Home Health Care PO Box 237 ... Pet Vet Animal Clinic and Mobile Practice Ltd. 10777 Rt. 47 ... Slidell, LA 70461. Serving Slidell, Lacombe and Pearl River (895)781-6838

Housecall Veterinarian - American Association of Housecall and Mobile Veterinarians - AAHV - Find a Housecall Veterinarian (http://www.housecallvets.org/html/housecall_veterinarian_-_ameri3.html)

NicholsS10
05-18-09, 12:37 pm
I live in a small country town, and am literally surrounded by farm land. I have to drive 30 to 35 minutes to see my vet. If I call to make an appointment (he works at 2 clinics) I can get in within 2 to 3 days at the most. If it's an emergency and he's working that day, I can bring them in the moment I call. I just pray I never have an emergency when he doesn't have hours, he's the only vet I trust, and the only one at the clinics that is an exotics. The emergency vet clinic that can deal with exotics is over an hour and a half away. I'm just thankful I've never had to run to an emergency vet clinic.

I also wanted to add, I'm sorry for your loss...

Ly&Pigs
05-18-09, 12:50 pm
My vet is a good hour away. They will see the piggies and ratties on a walk in basis or with an appointment but they don't do after hours emergency care. There is no emergency exotics vet anywhere close to me that I have found.

Froggirl009
05-18-09, 02:49 pm
Thankfully, my vet is about 5 minutes and is the same vet I take my dog to. She works monday through wednesday but does surgerys on thursdays. But that vet is the only one within an hour from my house.