Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Scratching Is this product safe?

couchon

Cavy Slave
Can anyone tell me if this product is safe?

(broken link removed)

I know it's for guinea pigs, but I am a little concerned about how toxic it is - what if he cleans himself? I am just concerned about leaving something like this on her (since it's not supposed to be washed off). Any advice?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
No, it's not safe. Please do not use it.

If your pig is scratching and you suspect mites, you need to treat with ivermectin. If it's fleas then use Advantage.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
No, it is not safe. I hope you did not actually use it yet. Throw it away or return it.

Most of the things Petsmart markets to guinea pigs are not safe. Buyers beware type deal.

couchon

Cavy Slave
No, thankfully, I have not used it yet! It's really good to know - why is it not safe? In other words, how can I tell with future products?

I am pretty sure my piggie doesn't have mites. He used to have fleas or lice (not sure which) - I could see a few little, black dots crawling on him. Now, I don't see them any more (this only happened after I took him outside), but he scratches sometimes. I don't know if it's just normal scratching (her coat does look nice and smooth) or if they are just not visible now for some reason.

So, what Advantage treatment should I use? Could I just wash her? I would rather not use any chemicals at all...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.