Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

In Heat Female Guinea pigs and going into heat

Seonta

Cavy Slave
My mother brought this to my attention and I realized I didn't know the answer. I do not yet have guinea pigs as I need to obtain a job first but since I plan to use fleece bedding we thought it might be good to know for sure if female guinea pigs bleed (menstruation cycle) when they go into heat.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
No they do not and if they do, they need vet care ASAP as it's a life threatening emergency.

jenniwat001

Cavy Slave
No, guinea pigs unlike humans and some other animals do not bleed during their "menstrual cycle". They go into heat and their mucus plug dissolves (a slimy goo that "plugs" the vagina when the sow isn't in heat. They are only in heat for 24ish hours every 18ish days. So no blood for you to worry about- any blood you do find in the cage is a cause for concern and indicative of a health issue (or fight). Hope this helps.

Seonta

Cavy Slave
Okay, thank you for the quick replies. I do not have any piggies yet but I do know of a great vet to take them to that is near me so if there is ever blood I can take them in to see him.
You helped a lot, thanks again.

RainbowPiggy

Cavy Slave
No they aren't like female humans. If they do bleed then it's not normal and need to be taken to the vet

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.