Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skittles really cranky and whiney

Skeetersmom

Cavy Slave
Hi! Skittles is acting very strange and almost whiney. I was in another room and she was wheeking like she does for food but no one was anywhere around or doing anything to provoke it. Also whenever Skeeter goes near her she starts squeeling. Now she started hiding in the igloo and almost grunting a little for a minute or so. Does it sound like she may be getting close to having her babies? I've never been around a pregnant guinea pig and didn't know if there is a change in the mom before delivery and this is normal behavior or not.

She is normally very vocal so I thought maybe she is just going into labor and being whiney. Any ideas?

Hi, usaully my Inka, who is pregnant and due anyday since you can actually see the babies or baby moving from a side veiw was just fine a few days ago but since yesterday she has been a bit moody and attacking her friends. This is new behavior for her so I am sure it is due to the fact that she is tired and that it is so close to time for the babies to be born.

Did your skittle's have any babies?

Nope, she still hasn't had them yet. I keep checking on her constantly and thinking she will have them the next time I go in. She looks so uncomfortable though. She's always vocal but seems more squeely than she has been. I've only had her for about 5 weeks now so she has to be getting close I would think. I just can't wait until it's over and she is fine. Hopefully she is ok and I can stop worrying about her.

Hope Skittles delivers soon and safe so she can have relief! Keep us updated!!
:D

I just checked on my Inka and well I am not a vet but it appears as though she is dilating. The area is widening so my question is if possible about how long before she actually has her baby or babies?

Also, She makes a high pitch Squeal every now and then and runs around her cage from one hidey spot to another is this normal or should I be concerned? This is her first and only litter and she is about 5 1/2 months.

If she starts squealing during contractions, then I'd worry. I'd said a call to the vet wouldnt hurt just in case. Does it sound like she's in pain? Pregnancy for them can last anyway from 44-72 days, depending on the size of the litter. The bigger the littler the sooner the delivery. Becareful how you handle your momma right now as she's in a fragile state. She should be picked up as little as possible and if you must, scoop her up in a shoebox or something along those lines so she can be safely transported to whereever your taking her. Just keep a close eye. They usually have the babies when your not looking. Keep your ears tuned in too!

Inka, did her first squeal and ran around her cage to a hidey spot at about 3 am yesterday and only repeated this once more and she is eating a drinking plenty.

Thank you, I have been listening and checking on her every little bit and I am not noticing any atual contractions yet, although, when I checked her she is dilating and she has a little discharge (white in color) and No Bloody Show sort of Speak.

Do you Think she will be having the soon and if so how soon?

The Squeal is not really a pain type squeal it's more like Spooked or scared Squeal. The is her first litter so I am wondering if maybe she is spooked due to maybe onset of labor. Do you think that is even possible for her to be spooked about the onset of labor?

Last edited:
No, she probably just antsy. When she's in labor they make a weird noise, that apparently they don't really do any other time other then when in labor. It's pretty distinct. But hey, nobody ever said labor was easy! Just makes sure, like I said, no squealing in pain for each contraction. The babies should come out smoothly, she'll know what to do. If you happen to see her in action, just stand by. If anything looks not ok to you, just go check out Guinea Pig Lynx (well, maybe check it ahead of time! that way you'll get an idea of what to expect). There should be mininal to amost no blood throughout the process. Any other piggies you have around will act as aunties and help clean the babes off. I think that's about it for the delivery. I spend hours reading when my Pixie was preggo. If you have anymore to ask, feel free!

Amsley246 said:
Pregnancy for them can last anyway from 44-72 days, depending on the size of the litter
Just a bit of a clarification here. It's more like 59-72 days. 44 days would be too early to deliver pups. They probably wouldn't survive if they were born at 44 days.

Just a bit of a clarification here. It's more like 59-72 days. 44 days would be too early to deliver pups. They probably wouldn't survive if they were born at 44 days.

Ah! I'm so sorry! Yes, 59 days, not 44! For some reason I had 44 on the brain, my bad!

I think but not real sure when my Inka got pregnant, any way I think it was after the 24th of Feb. or the first week in march. I f it was feb. like I orriginally thought then she is over by about 5 days however if she got pregnant later then the babies would still be due anyday now. When we first found out she was pregnant is when we learned that our Lady was a Lad and gave him to a friend. He was a missed inform sex thing we were told he was a girl and we didn't know how to check however we know how to sex them now and will not be makeing that mistake twice.
Inka, is still doing good, no squealing sounds today so she more calm calmer than 2 days ago that is but no babies yet. Hopefully she'll have them soon.

I have another question should I remove the ramps and not allow the babies to go up the ramp until they are older and how old should the babies be before it is safe for them to use ramps to go the 2nd floor of a c&c cages?

Inka hasn't had babies yet but I am wondering, want babies and momma to be safe!

You can leave the ramp in, as long as they won't be able to fall off of it. They probably won't use it at first though so make sure their food and water are on the main level.

What do I have to do to babyproof the cage? It has 6 inch sides right now. Does the coroplast have to be higher? I don't have any extra coroplast. I also have one of those marchioro extra large cages (dimensions are 47x24) It is about the size of a 2x3 cage. Would that be ok to put mom and the babies in if I can't babyproof their 2x4 cage?

You can put cardboard in between the grids and coroplast to extend the sides. Or if you have extra grids, you can overlap them to make the size of the holes smaller.

Did Skittles have her babies yet?Inka has not had her babies yet.

Skittles STILL has not had her babies. I hoping that maybe that means she is only having a couple and they are staying in longer :) I can hope right? She is getting really big!

That is what I am thinking too, about my Inka cause she is really big and you can see the babies moving in her sides. And she is not showing any signs of complications so my guess would be that she is having 1 maybe 2 tops and they are staying in a little longer. Today makes it 74 days for Inka. Does anyone know the longest a guinea pig has ever been pregnant for or if their is anything I can do to help her have them?
I also found a website that said that they can be pregnant for 59-75 days.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.