PDA

View Full Version : Just Delivered New need advice asap please

chubs
05-15-09, 06:00 pm
Hi all my name is Lisa-Marie, would really appreciate some advice if possible please?
I bought my 2 year old son two guinea pigs for his 2nd birthday last month. They are the sweetest things ever, we have called the Abyssinian Queenie as she was the bossy one and the American crested Shyla as she was the shy one. I got them both from an ex breeder.
I noticed that over the weeks Queenie was getting bigger around her abdomen so checked on the internet for signs of pregnancy, i however managed to convince myself (and so did my husband) that i was just being paranoid and was probably over feeding her.
As you have probably already guessed.....I went in to their room this evening to clean there cage out and was shocked to find a guinea pig under Queenie!! She has, i assume, given birth to all 3 babies in the last few hours. They all seem to be doing fine, just can't believe how big the babies are.
So here comes all the questions.......
I've read that i can leave my other female in with them all?
Also do they wean from the mother and for how long?
Is it best not to clean their cage out now, as it was due a clean this evening. I'm worried the poo thats there may make them ill?
How long do i leave it before handling them, i know i need to sex them within 3 weeks?
Do i need to put a small bowl of water in for them as they can't reach the bottle, or do they get all food and fluid from mother?
Really sorry about all the questions, just need some advice before i can get hold of the vet on Monday.

Thank you in advance.

krittercrazy
05-16-09, 10:16 am
So here comes all the questions.......
I've read that i can leave my other female in with them all?
Also do they wean from the mother and for how long?
Is it best not to clean their cage out now, as it was due a clean this evening. I'm worried the poo thats there may make them ill?
How long do i leave it before handling them, i know i need to sex them within 3 weeks?
Do i need to put a small bowl of water in for them as they can't reach the bottle, or do they get all food and fluid from mother?
Really sorry about all the questions, just need some advice before i can get hold of the vet on Monday.

Thank you in advance.

You can leave them all in with the other female.(Be absolutely certain the other is female)
Males have to be moved to another cage at 21 days. Girls can stay with mom. They will all be eating solid food with mom in days.
You can clean the cage.
You can handle them immediately. They are squirmy and babies jump really quick.
Can you lower the water bottle? A bowl of water is going to get nasty really quick.

What kind of cage do you have them in? They need a lot of room to move around and not get on each others nerves. Check out this site for info on building your own cages and baby proofing.
There is great info on nutrition. Again you only need to check out the stickies and cruise around to get all the info you need.

rabbitsncavyluv
05-16-09, 11:45 am
Ditto the above. You can handle the babies right away and clean the cage. It won't harm any of them.

You can leave the other sow in - she usually acts as 'auntie' and tends to the babies too.

You need to remove any baby males at 21 days or risk more babies.

chubs
05-17-09, 01:22 pm
Thank you both so much for your helpful replies.
I stayed up most of the night searching the internet and managed to find out all the info that i needed but is really helpful to have it confirmed.
I checked my other piggie and she is def a female so Queenie must have been pregnant when i bought her!
I have also managed to sex the babies, i have 2 girls and a boy and they are all doing fantasic. They are very easy to handle and they have all been spending time with us in the run in my living room, so they are getting very confident and used to all the noises.
They are all living in a Ferplast 4ft cage but i am looking for a reasonable priced 2nd cage to put my boy in as i will be keeping them all. I think they are a blessing even if it was the last thing i expected.
Do you know if i can make the type of cage that you have reccomended as i live in the UK and don't know where to get the materials from??
Thanks again and i will post some pictures shortly.

chubs
05-17-09, 02:04 pm
Sorry for all the questions, i have just found some websites that i can potentially buy C&C materials but was wondering what i would use for a base?

greybear36
05-17-09, 03:12 pm
I also live in the UK and bought my grids from shopfittingsonline.co.uk. Have a look at their site. My correx (Coroplast in the US) I bought from mdpsupplies.co.uk. The sheets weren't quite big enough but I used tape underneath to join them and they are fine. You get 5 sheets in a pack and this was enough to do a 4x2 and a 3x3 both with lofts and I still have some left over for if I extend at all!! You can see my pics of my cages on here. It is a lot more expensive over here to make the cages but my piggies have never been so happy!!
Hope this helps :D

chubs
05-17-09, 03:54 pm
Thank you greybear36. Your pictures are great and i love your fleeces. I don't think i would have the imagination to build anything as good as yours though.
Also can you put roofs on the C&C cages as i have dogs and cats?

greybear36
05-17-09, 11:49 pm
Yeah you just need more grids and connectors. I also used cable ties for my cages as they pull tight and make the whole thing more secure. I've never made anything in my life and it was hard work but I am pleased with the end result. As for making a lid in a closed cage someone else would be better at advising you on this as I don't need mine closed.
Good luck!!
Trish :)

rabbitsncavyluv
05-18-09, 12:01 am
You can use shelving unit cut to size for lids too. If you look through the photo galleries, you can get ideas on how to make them.