Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Help! I think my new addition is pregnant!

LawlKatGG

Cavy Slave
I adopted a female guinea pig about 2 weeks ago. She was quite the fatty when I got her but I had no idea that she could possibly be pregnant.
She's already made good friends with my other female guinea pig and I wouldn't ever give her back X_X
I don't know what to doooo omg >_<
She's increasingly gained weight since we've gotten her and her little nipples were never obvious until tonight I picked her up and they had gotten really long and big. (Pardon my idiocy).
She drinks a lot. Way more than my guinea pig ever did. When I clean their water every day more and more is gone X_X.
Today it only had half left usually it has 75 percent left.
She doesn't have a problem getting around but I've noticed she's not quite as active as usual, I don't know if this is only because she's starting to get used to her surroundings.
Here's some pictures of her tummy. It's kinda hard to say she's just a fat guinea pig. :(

Also when I touch her stomach and press in gently, I SWEAR I feel something moving. whatever it is it's at least the size of my thumb
idk if it's her intestines.
I've only ever had rats that gave birth and a dog when I was like 8 X_X

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
Yes, I would say she is pregnant. You should take her to the vet as soon as you can though.

LawlKatGG

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I'm gonna make an appointment Monday.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Big possiblilty that she could be. Be like mentiond before, vet could tell you for sure. Be very careful with how you handle her, if she is, she's very fragile so you dont want to pick her up often. It's best to get a shoebox, cut a side down and scoop her up or herd her in ever so gently if you want to transport her somewhere, it's easier on her and the babies that way. Best of luck to you!

piggy lover101

Cavy Slave
It sure looks like it but you better take her to a cavy savvy vet before making any more decisions!

LawlKatGG

Cavy Slave
Ok I took her to the vet today, She said she shouldn't have any complications because she's most likely younger than 6 months (whatever that means). The 3-4 babies are decent sized and will be born within 2 weeks. I asked about if incase she needs to get a csection and they told me they're really risky and if she has complications just to bring her in. It cost me 50 dollars just for her to feel around the guinea pig and tell me all these things I already knew -.-.. But it is always better to be safe than sorry.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Where did you get her?

She looks older than 6 months in those photos.

LawlKatGG

Cavy Slave
I got her at petco, unfortunately.
I felt so bad for her X_X the other piggies weren't nice to her at all.
You may be looking at the picture with my niece holding her. My niece is only 11 that's why she looks so huge.
She's awfully fat, but she's not much bigger than my 5 month old piggie who's really big due to me spoiling her and feeding her when she wants :3
She always gets treats when I walk past her cage and if I don't give them to her she WHEEEEAKS really loud to let me know she isn't pleased.

LawlKatGG

Cavy Slave
I took her to the vet again yesterday and the veterinarian said she's going to have them in just a few days. How on earth does she know that? She also mentioned her pelvis bones weren't fused together. She never took an X-ray. Let me in on your secret, psychic veterinarian lady haha. Ever since Friday I have been researching guinea pig pregnancy and I feel a little more comfortable with the situation. I'm no longer freaking out about the whole thing haha. I read all about the bad things and got worked up over nothing.
Thanks for everyone that posted.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
There's still cause for concern unfortunately.

Their pelvic bones don't fuse. That is a myth. They do stiffen as they age so it is harder for babies to pass though not impossible. There are other risks regardless.

krittercrazy

Cavy Slave
https://www.guinealynx.info/breeding.html

The picture of you holding her up showing her belly reminds me of the roan coloring. This is a thread on guinea lynx that you really need to read. https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?p=387896#387896
Even if she is not a roan or dalmation, she could be carrying the gene.

This may be why your vet could give you an estimated time of birth. The link: https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?p=387896#387896

Signs of normal and abnormal labor: https://www.guinealynx.info/labor.html

" Ever since Friday I have been researching guinea pig pregnancy and I feel a little more comfortable with the situation. I'm no longer freaking out about the whole thing haha. I read all about the bad things and got worked up over nothing."

I am glad you are more comfortable with the pregnancy and certainly it does not help to freak out, but please do no think that the bad things are nothing to be mindful of. You should be aware and prepared for emergencies. Especially since you know nothing of the parents breeding, or previous care. Most likely before you got her, her diet was poor for a guinea pig that is not pregnant much less one that is eating for multiples. I would expect that with your reading about pregnancy that she is getting a proper diet now.
I hope all goes well with her. Please post with updates.

LawlKatGG

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I hope she's not a dalmation or roan, I was reading about that. That would be very unfortunate and I would most likely punch everyone at Petco in the face if anything bad happens. It's sad to say but if I knew she were pregnant I wouldn't have got her. I only bought her because I felt bad, you're right about her diet, they don't give veggies. Since I've found out she was pregnant I've bought Alfalfa hay, I feed her more parsley and 1 and a half cups of veggies instead of just 1 cup (Brownie gets very jealous she's used to being the spoiled one). I found a link just now that says that their pelvis bones will seperate to about 1 cm 2-3 days before they have their babies. I gently felt around Brownie's tummy (It's safer to use her as a test dummy since she doesn't have babies) and I felt her bone, it just felt like one nub, then I found Oreo's and sure enough her pelvis bone is seperated exactly 1 cm, I felt with my finger and measured on my finger the difference that I felt.
I do have the emergency number right in front of my computer (as well as on my cellphone) just in case and they are there over-night as well. If anything goes wrong she'll be there in 1 minute since the vet is RIGHT accross the street.
Also I read that karo syrup diluted with some water can help prevent toxemia (hope I spelled that correctly) is this something I should do? Or would she have the symptoms of toxemia by now if that were to happen?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I can't tell if it is a roan from those pics. If you pm salana and ask her, she can probably tell you.

This is why we tell people to adopt - not buy. Sorry you had to learn the hard way. Did you baby proof the cage?

LawlKatGG

Cavy Slave
If it wasn't me that bought her someone irresponsible would have, and I normally do adopt. Both of the dogs that I have are adopted (SPCA and Chihuahua Rescue). I may be learning the hard way but at least she's with someone that has the decency to research and take her to the vet. I didn't join this site until after I had gotten her or else I WOULD have adopted. This site has given me a lot of information about things and what with all of the research I've done I now know about Pet Stores and the horror stories of them mis-sexing, breeding pigs with heart problems (thanks KritterCrazy). It's really all so sad they only use them as a profit even though they're loving creatures with souls. I called Petco furious and they told me the only thing they would do for her is to have me return her and they'd keep the babies and she said they DO take their pets to the vets. My rebuttle was "If you took this pig to the vet how did they look past her being pregnant?" She ofcourse had no answer. I wasn't about to take her back to that store just so the cycle with her could be repeated. I'd most likely bring her back home and she'd be pregnant yet again! Instead I've payed out of my own pocket to ensure her safety despite this being their fault. I adore her and so does my pig Brownie. The babies that she has will be for adoption to people that know what their doing with guinea pigs and I will not pawn them off on rescues or the spca and I most definitely am not taking them to a pet store. At least some good is coming out of my mistake. As for baby proofing I've put extra caging things (the ones you get at wal-mart for pet runs on the floor) between my coroplast and the normal cage (which is closet shelving, I couldn't find those cubes ANYWHERE) They definitely won't be popping their heads out. And yesterday I put carefresh in instead of their usual bedding so it's soft for the babies. I also cut up one of my giant tupper-ware things and put some fleece in it with newspaper under it I'm sure she'll go there to have her babies she always chases Brownie out of it.

Sarah'sPiggies

Cavy Slave
Good luck with your new arrivals.

I really miss those days of being around tiny newborn piggies... My sister-in-law bought three guinea pigs from a pet store a year ago, and of course, one was pregnant. I helped her re-home three of the babies and she kept the fourth. I loved the tiny pigs and I cried my heart out when I realized I couldn't take them in, because my late piggie, Chris (R.I.P.), would not tolerate them at all. I was afraid for their safety and knew it would be too much, especially since I paid out of my own pocket to get all three of my sister-in-law's pigs "fixed" so no more accidents happened.

LawlKatGG

Cavy Slave
BABIES ARE HERE!!!! She had them while I was asleep. Last night I knew she was going into labor and I stayed up until 5am trying to see it but I fell asleep . Woke up at 1pm and I looked out into their cage from the bed and I thought I saw a baby. I put my glasses on and I looked again.. it was my mind playing tricks on me :( Oreo was drinking water and Brownie was in her igloo...... Wait a second, Brownie's not in the Igloo, she's relaxing on her Cozy. OMG BABIES IN THE IGLOO!!! Dissapointed suddlenly turned into ULTRA-EXCITEMENT! She's doing well, she's being a great mommy, letting them drink her milk and cleaning them. She's always giving them kisses.
Sorry the pictures aren't that great my dad is borrowing my camera Bad timing right? Can't say no to dad though, he never told me no when I wanted cd's and puppies and cd players and a computer...etc.
ANYWAY Here's the pictures
https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e333/Koihime/Picture374.jpg
https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e333/Koihime/Picture375.jpg
https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e333/Koihime/Picture376.jpg
https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e333/Koihime/Picture377.jpg
Also I'm going to keep 2 and my niece is going to take one. I knew I was going to keep one anyway so there's no point in finding a home for the the 3rd.
Besides that my boyfriend likes the grey and white one and I like the calico.
Those are the ones we're keeping, my niece is getting the brown one. If they're both males (Which I think they are and the brown is a girl, I'll have to check again during these 3 weeks) I will be building another 2.5X4.5 cage for them to relax in.
Thank goodness they're all ok.

vicky2

Cavy Slave
Awwwww!!!!!!
They are gorgeous!

LawlKatGG

Cavy Slave
hehe thank you. I'm already in love. They are the sweetest.

LawlKatGG

Cavy Slave
Thank you wheek weak, very helpful.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.