Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

agressive pregnant female

snickerpoo

Cavy Slave
We recently found out that our female is pregnant roughly a month and a half. Two days ago i had to separate her from her cage mate, because Sweetpea (pregnant) attacked Akina(not pregnant) and left a good bite on her nose and cheek, yes i took her to the vet thank goodness she didn't have to have stitches. But, I was wondering if this was normal behavior for a pregnant GP. They use to be very attached to each other and Akina is still calling Sweetpea all the time, but Sweetpea doesn't want anything to do with her. They were in a 5x 2 C&C cage but I had to divide it up,so i don't think space was the problem at the time. Does any one have suggestions as to why or what caused this to happen, and if anyone thinks that I should try again after she gives birth and the babies are in their new homes?:confused:

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Never had any problems with my Pixie when she was, but I could understand that happening. Being a woman who was once pregnant myself, things tend to get annoying very quickly when all you can do is waddle and sit uncomfortabley all the time lol. That's too bad to hear about her biting the other one though. Hopefully things will change once the babes come. They say it's usually good to have another female around when one gives birth because they act as a nurse/auntie type thing and help out with baby cleaning duty and such. Good luck to you!

MomtoO&O

Cavy Slave
One of my sows is pregnant and she used to be very sweet to her sister. Now, she attacks her numerous times a day. It can happen during pregnancy, but it can also just happen as your pigs get older. I wouldn't separate them, if I were you, because when you try to put them back together after the pregnancy, there will be confusion over who is dominant, plus, they could get depressed.

Can you put a grid in the middle of the cage? (Or, two grids so it's baby proofed) That way the girls can still talk to each other, the dominance order is not hampered, and no one gets bit.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.