Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Started my First Cage!

Baby Bears

Cavy Slave
I have built the grids. My husband sat in his chair and giggled at me when I started. And as it got larger, he stopped laughing so much. Finally he says "Um, how big is that getting and where is it going?" He actually thought it was only going to be one grid wide! HA!

It's just a 2X3 - but I may expand it to 2x4 since I have the grids. I don't know what he's on about. The coroplast will be in tomorrow!!! :) I cannot wait to get my guys in their new cage!!!

pennick

Cavy Slave
Go for the 2x4 now, its easier. When my husband watched me build my 2x4 he thought I was ready for the mental institution or a quick divorce. I can understand though. Most people think of a petstore cage for their small animal and here when you walk into my bedroom you see this monstrosity of a cage taking up 1/4 of my bedroom. It is a sight to behold. Mines a 2x4 with a 2nd level 1x4 and 3rd level 1x1. My husband is not a animal lover like me so you can imagine how difficult it was for me to build this cage while he is scrutinizing me.

sofiemuffins

Cavy Slave
I know how that feels Pennick! My sister in law saw my pig cage for the first time last weekend...It's a double decker (a 2x4 with 1x4 loft, with the same above it)...She asked me for my guinea pig's zip code because she wanted to send them mail...Yes, it's huge...but I love them and want them to be happy.

Baby Bears

Cavy Slave
I figure I'll make it 2x4 this weekend while he's busy cleaning his trucks and maybe he won't even notice it got bigger (only by one grid - I mean geez!). he he he. I told him that when you take on pets, no matter what they are, you have to research their care and make sure you do the very best by them, and that's why I need this cage. He wants to know why I keep getting exotic pets - (I have 6 hermit crabs too - all I've had more than 2 years - they live a LONG time if you care for them properly.)
I should add a second level... he he he

Emily F.

Cavy Slave
Good for you.

pennick

Cavy Slave
Im thinking of making my 3rd level bigger. God help me.

Baby Bears

Cavy Slave
I got out the tape measure last night to see if I could fit a bigger cage in the space I have. My husband rolled his eyes and told me that chatting with you guys on this forum has given me incurable guinea pig fever!!! I laughed till I cried!!!

pennick

Cavy Slave
I just received my order of cubes. I am now going to make a base for my cage to stand on so I can have better access to the bottom level. I am thinking how many grids will be left over so I can enlarge the 2nd level, the 3rd level will be to high to do. I think my dresser will be in the way cause I want to build it outward. But if there is a way you can rest assured I will give it a try.

Baby Bears

Cavy Slave
My coroplast is in! I'm getting it on the way home from work, so the hubby will have to find his own dinner cause I'll be busy! His latest comment, when I called him, "what's gonna be the lid?" I said, "nothing." He says, "what if they get out and eat my Playstation and pee on my chair?" Just for that, I ought to build a three level cage! I'm pushing the china cabinet down so I can make the cage bigger. Priorities!!

Baby Bears

Cavy Slave
Pennick - I just looked at your gallery. LOVE THE CAGE. That is awesome!

pennick

Cavy Slave
Thank you, your so funny. All I am thinking about now is extending the 2nd level or maybe the 3rd. I have to stop this. Its getting out of hand, but Im so addicted. Now I'm sitting here at work mind you thinking about a ramp leading from the cage to my bed so they can come on my lap by themselves if they want. Is this sick or what? I NEED HELP -)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.