Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Please Help Me

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
Please help, My guinea pig cage really stinks. I am using fleece. I have tried everything to get rid of the smell! Right now I use puppy pads I was really happy with them for a day then it started to smell really bad. My mom us getting really upset and I might have to put them in a store bought cage because bedding is expencive. So does anyone have any advice on how to make it stop smelling so bad using fleece? And What is a cheap bedding I can get. I really like carefresh but it costs so much and I would have to spend so much on it to put in the entire cage. Please help me.

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
There may be hope! I just discovered the best poop-scopper in the world! The Soup ladle! lol

fieryone

Cavy Slave
I used puppy pads at first too and noticed that they stunk very quickly! I would go to your local Goodwill (or similar) and see if you can get a mattress pad and/or some towels to put under the fleece. The puppy pads just aren't very absorbent and they're expensive.

snistopher

Cavy Slave
I use 3 towels under my fleece, and it works great. I do clean the poops (with a handi vac) about 3 times a day, but doing that is quite easy. The only problem I have with fleece is cleaning the hay off of it, but I could live with that for the money I'm saving.

Also: I bought my towels at JC Penney for $3.88 a piece. I don't think you can beat that, especially since they're all very good and absorb very well.

Good luck :)

SheriMartini

Cavy Slave
Maybe put a small litter box in the cage with bedding. I change mine at least once a day, and it doesn't stink at all. In fact, the fleece in my cage has been there almost two weeks, and since he uses the litter box 99% of the time, it doesn't stink at all!

I sweep the cage at least twice a day (usually morning and evening... and whenever I'm bored haha!) and change the soiled carefresh in the box whenever needed. I usually use my dust pan to scoop out the soiled half (where Fajita's butt is when he's chowing down on hay :) ) and then I don't even have to clean the whole box!

And believe me, I live in a 700square foot apartment... it would stink up my whole apartment if I didn't take care of it often!

Skeetersmom

Cavy Slave
I use 3 towels under fleece. I get the bath towels at Goodwill Store for $1 a piece so really inexpensive! I also put a litter box under the hayrack with yesterdays news in it! It works great, they use it about 90% of the time. I sweep the poops once a day. I am really picky about smells and still only do a full clean once a week!

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
How big is the cage?

I use towels under the fleece and it seems to absorb better. I put a dash of vinegar in when washing it. It helps take off some smell.

Using a store bought cage won't really help. You'd likely be using more bedding since you have to change it much more often.

Please help, My guinea pig cage really stinks. I am using fleece. I have tried everything to get rid of the smell! Right now I use puppy pads I was really happy with them for a day then it started to smell really bad. My mom us getting really upset and I might have to put them in a store bought cage because bedding is expencive. So does anyone have any advice on how to make it stop smelling so bad using fleece? And What is a cheap bedding I can get. I really like carefresh but it costs so much and I would have to spend so much on it to put in the entire cage. Please help me.

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
Maybe put a small litter box in the cage with bedding. I change mine at least once a day, and it doesn't stink at all. In fact, the fleece in my cage has been there almost two weeks, and since he uses the litter box 99% of the time, it doesn't stink at all!

I sweep the cage at least twice a day (usually morning and evening... and whenever I'm bored haha!) and change the soiled carefresh in the box whenever needed. I usually use my dust pan to scoop out the soiled half (where Fajita's butt is when he's chowing down on hay :) ) and then I don't even have to clean the whole box! quote]

I have 2 litterboxes in the cage. I put them in the places they pee the most but they just go right next to them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.