Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

just wondering..

babymama

Cavy Slave
I was just wondering what everyone thought about this..
One of my pigs got really sick the day before her first birthday, and we thought it was a UTI so we started her on antibiotics and it seemed to help a bit. A few days later I was moving her to a temporary cage to clean the other one and I felt something shift in her belly, and a few minutes later she passed a large mass and started eating it. It didn't look like it was anything at all, and she's been fine since then. The vets opinion was that it was a fetus which had died and began rotting inside of her, and since she hasn't been around a boy since I got her it would have to have been concieved when she was 2-3 weeks old, which is really young.
So basically, my question is if she would be able to get pregnant again and safely birth the baby? I realize that after 6 months the pubic bones fuse together if the mother hasn't had a baby yet, but I'm not sure if its the hormones from pregnancy which cause the lack of fusing or the physical act of a baby passing through the canal?
I was just wondering because she seems lonely and also she is frequently trying to have sex with my other female pig which obviously doesn't work and seems to be confusing the other pig.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Mounting (humping) other guinea pigs is normal dominance behavior. Breeding a guinea pig is really risky. You run a 25% chance of having complications with the pregnancy and birth. By the way this site is against breeding breeding. Also why don't you check this out; https://www.guinealynx.info/breeding.html maybe you'll get some information there.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Expelling a young fetus and eating it doesn't sound like a very likely thing to have happened to me - I would think it was more likely she was impacted and passed the stool and felt much better.

Guinea pigs don't hump other pigs because they want a baby or because they are lonely. It's perfectly normal behavior.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
The earliest a sow can get pregnant is 3 weeks.

Where did you get her from? Pet stores and backyard breeders often lie about their ages.

Breeding is a bad idea Breeding Guinea Pigs

Your sow may be humping the other one because she is in heat or for dominance. She may not survive another pregnancy.

babymama

Cavy Slave
thanks i wasn't really planning on breeding her i was just curious. i don't have room for more pigs

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.