Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

First Time Owner

xxunperfectxx

Cavy Slave
Hi, I just joined. I'm going to be purchasing my first guinea pig in a few weeks, and I'm just looking for a bit of advice. I already did my homework on the subject. I've got a 4x2 C&C cage and have a spot in my room to put it. I'm wondering about what kind of pellets are the best to buy. And brands of Timothy Hay. Any help is very appreciated, please and thank you.

Kali:)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Don't buy while shelter pigs die! Please find a rescue/shelter and ADOPT a pig instead of purchasing one.

Brands of pellets that are acceptable are Kleenmama's and Oxbow. Kleenmama also has the best hay on earth. Any type of grass hay is suitable to feed.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Ditto. Adopt and adopt a pair.

xxunperfectxx

Cavy Slave
I've been thinking about adopting from our local animal shelter (MSPCA)

TheCraftyFaerie

Cavy Slave
Congratulations!!! I'll welcome you since no one else seems to have the good grace to.

Good hay and pellets can be found online but also check your local pet stores for whatever brand you choose. Sometimes ordering online might not be practical.

Do you have a vet yet? Any pictures of anything (piggy, cage setup)

lmarieaa

Cavy Slave
Please don't buy a guinea pig from a pet store! https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...e-breeding-care-housing-disaster-threads.html
When you buy pet store piggies you support the cruel breeding at mills.

My guinea pigs love Oxbow, and its good for them too. Before when I fed Kaytee pellets (before I knew better) they would always leave a lot behind and seemed very disinterested in them. When I began giving them Oxbow they bowl empties so fast, better quality food not only is better for them but apparently is yummier.
Remember that guinea pigs need grass hay 24/7, and 1 cup of vegetables per day. The stickies at the top of the forum are a great place to start when creating a diet plan. Remember to not feed veggies that are high in calcium too frequently.

And....guinea pigs are social creatures and herd animals by nature and need to have a buddy to interact with.

Also, you can find guinea pigs in need of homes on your local craigslist. However, there are breeders that occasionally advertise on the site as well, so you have you be aware of that. But, there are lots of typical "child grew out of it" posts of guinea pigs that are genuinely in need of a proper permanent home. Just keep your eyes open, and be paitent :).

Good luck

Last edited:

xxunperfectxx

Cavy Slave
I have just gotten the cage, Its c&c I am planning on putting it together this weekend. I'm hoping to have the piggie by or on Monday. If not It will most likely happen later in the week. I have decided on Oxbow pellets but not on a brand on timothy yet. My turtle and dog both go to the same vet clinic so my piggie will follow suit.

tehdoc809

Cavy Slave
For Hay I suggest looking for a local feed store/farmers market/farmers co-op. If one of those don't have it they can usually tell you who does. But you can get a bale of grass hay for anywhere between 5-10 dollars depending on the size of the bale.

lmarieaa

Cavy Slave
Buying by the bale is definitely the way to go. If my piggies decide to pull out a bunch out of the hay rack just to play or lay in, its no big deal since you have a whole big bale. Before when i bought by the bag I would cringe when they did that lol.
Its just a matter of having the space to store it. I have a unused closet that was perfect.

Marzopan

Cavy Slave
Adopt. Please.
I've bought and the support on here for that isn't that great.
Please don't make the mistake I did.

Good luck with your new piggies. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.