Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Infected/Dangerous hay? Quarantine?

Dr Doughnut

Cavy Slave
Hi.

A few days ago, I used up the last of my hay shipment from Kleenmama, and now the guinea pigs are starting to run a bit low on hay. My dad ordered another order (Albeit late, so it won't be arriving for a week or so), so there will be a short period of a few days the guinea pigs won't have hay. My sister came back home with a bag of Kaytee hay, which, of course, is inferior in quality to KM's, but it should be good enough. The bag was still sealed, but she told me where she got the hay.

Her friend had a guinea pig that died 'recently'. I do not know how recently, but it was 'recent'. She told my sister that a large growth was on the guinea pig's left side of the face, and my guess is that it died of it.

I don't know how my sister's friends take care of their guinea pigs, so although the bag is sealed, haybags always have quarter inch diameter holes in them. I don't know if I should feed my guinea pigs with it, if I should throw it away forever, or if I should keep it as backup food (say, in an emergency).

The growth sounds like a tumor to me, but my sister just said "A large blob of [expletive] was growing on the guinea pig's face", and I don't know how big it is. In addition, I don't know if, incase it is not a tumor, if it is infectious, and I don't know if it has mites or lice or fleas on it. If I can use it, how long should it be quarantined.

TheCraftyFaerie

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't use it all. Just sounds risky.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
The hay should be fine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.