PDA

View Full Version : Cage cage

panda g
04-28-09, 01:11 pm
Hi,
I was wondering can you us a fish tank for a cage?

Ly&Pigs
04-30-09, 11:45 am
No. Fish tanks do make good housing for guinea pigs because of lack of ventilation. It doesn't matter the size of the tank either. Please house your pigs in an appropriate type cage. C&C's are cheap and fairly easy to build.

pringles70
04-30-09, 11:48 am
Some lady on craigslist here has an ad for two guinea pigs in a 20 gallon aquarium. Poor piggies. Not enough room or ventilation! I wish I could adopt them, but my roommate would kill me!

Amsley246
04-30-09, 11:52 am
Well, Aquariums are called Aquariums because Aquatic Animals are suppose to live in them (well it should actually be the ocean, but anyways). Whoever came up with the idea that anything else can live with them (besides reptiles) should be told it's the worst idea ever and it's confusing and misguiding way too many people.

ferndalezoo
04-30-09, 12:02 pm
The only scenario I can see it working would be a VERY VERY large tank (My bearded dragon's tank's inner dimensions are 4' wide by 2' deep (front to back), which technically is big enough. THEN, to fix the ventilations issues, you'd have to cut the sides/drill vent holes, etc, which would only really work if the tank was plexi-- and since guinea pig nails would scratch that in a heartbeat---- nope. It's not going to work.

A C&C cage is MUCH easier, and WAAAAAY cheaper to build than all of that would be.

lissie
04-30-09, 12:39 pm
No. Fish tanks do make good housing for guinea pigs because of lack of ventilation.

I believe you are saying "No. Fish tanks do NOT make good housing".