PDA

View Full Version : Size Four Piggies in a Two Story C&C Cage?

MomtoO&O
04-28-09, 01:47 am
Currently, I have a 2X4 C&C Cage with two sows in it. (Side note- They are both expecting.) In the future, I would like to house them with two other sows (possibly two of their babies) but I am wondering if I would need to order a 2X5 C&C Cage and make my current cage the upper level?

Or, would two 2X4s on top of each other, with a ramp, be enough? That seems small to me for four sows, especially since the C&C Cages' site says upper levels decrease square footage.

Does anyone out there have 4 pigs in a two story? How did you do it?

pigsforlife
04-28-09, 03:23 am
For 4 sows you would need a base level of 2x5. Anything else (upperlevel) would be a bonus! :)

Personally - I find upper levels annoying! They can make cleaning hard and most of the time they were on the bottom level so there was little point.

jamie15701
04-28-09, 06:11 am
Upper levels are harder to clean. I also read that guineas have poor depth perception and I worry about them falling. So no uppper level for me anymore! (they didn't really use it anyways)

ferndalezoo
04-28-09, 08:39 am
I have 4 boars in a 3x5. I think 4 sows could do fine in a 2x5 (boys need more room). Our cage has a 1x3+1 upper level (L-shaped, on one of the short sides), with a ramp. This level is hinged, and lifts up, which makes cleaning easy. Our boys utilize the upper level extensively (It's the "kitchen"), and with the way I chose to support the loft (2 unbent grids attached perpendicularly), it doesn't actually take up much in the way of space on the ground level-- just kinda makes a little tunnel for them (mostly Wyatt) to hide under. Pics of my setup are in my gallery.

Amsley246
04-28-09, 09:35 am
I have 4 sows and 4 boars (separated of course). Ly has told me for 4 in a cage, it has to be a min of 2x6. Hope that helps.

fieryone
04-28-09, 09:42 am
Personally - I find upper levels annoying! They can make cleaning hard and most of the time they were on the bottom level so there was little point.

Agreed! I had an upper level for about a week before I dismantled it and put my little loft back.

MomtoO&O, do you need to order another cage? Would you be able to get some grids to just add one (or two, which would be better) more grid length and attach a small piece of coro to the existing one to extend it? If coroplast is hard to find in your area, you could order a smaller piece on the internet. It's the large 4x8 pieces that are hard to find online and SUPER EXPENSIVE to ship. harborsales.net will sell single pieces of coroplast.

Ly&Pigs
04-28-09, 07:41 pm
4 sows- minimum of 2x5
4 boars- minimum of 2x6 as they are more territorial.

MomtoO&O
04-28-09, 10:49 pm
Agreed! I had an upper level for about a week before I dismantled it and put my little loft back.

MomtoO&O, do you need to order another cage? Would you be able to get some grids to just add one (or two, which would be better) more grid length and attach a small piece of coro to the existing one to extend it? If coroplast is hard to find in your area, you could order a smaller piece on the internet. It's the large 4x8 pieces that are hard to find online and SUPER EXPENSIVE to ship. harborsales.net will sell single pieces of coroplast.

This is a good idea. Thanks!

4 sows- minimum of 2x5
4 boars- minimum of 2x6 as they are more territorial.

Thank you.