Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Does this look like a good idea?

MapleOwl18

Cavy Slave
This is a "How to make a Guinea pig toy" I found in my wiki-how digest today.

Does this look like a good idea? I'm not sure. I'd like some feedback if I should decide to build one or not.
How to Make a Dangling Guinea Pig Toy - wikiHow

Bambi5826

Cavy Slave
I think using fleece strips may be better. The wool/yarn kinda worries me.

I used to make the same kinf of think out of strips of fleece for my sugar gliders, and they went insane over it when I added a bell.

MomtoO&O

Cavy Slave
It's cute!

But, I am pretty sure that my pigs wouldn't find it interesting, Yet, gather that every pig is different and perhaps your pigs would like it. I think mine just don't find dangling things fun for whatever reason.

I'm sure someone with more experience will come along and attest to the safety of the toy. I imagine that since pigs can choke on celery strings, yarn could be a choking hazard.

MomtoO&O

Cavy Slave
I think using fleece strips may be better. The wool/yarn kinda worries me.

I guess we posted at the same time! None the less, I agree.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My pigs would probably just eat it, which would be bad. Maybe if you made it out of something that would either be good for them to eat, or that they wouldn't eat.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
That toy is not a good idea. They could eat the yarn which may or may not post a choking hazard but could cause intestinal blockage if they ate enough. It is an unsafe toy in my opinion.

jamie15701

Cavy Slave
I also say it's an unsafe toy

MapleOwl18

Cavy Slave
Ok I was kinda thinking the same thing. I was thinking that it looked like something that Linus would tear each string out of and probely try to eat. The wiki how article does have a warning of

"Watch for signs that the guinea pigs are eating it. A little nibbling is normal and not dangerous, but if they're biting off chunks, the toy should be removed to prevent ingesting wool. However, guinea pigs who have a balanced diet and hay to gnaw should not feel the urge to eat their toys."

Does anyone feel we need to add an additional warning to the wiki-how article or is this warning strong enough?

Res Judicata

Cavy Slave
I think an additional warning should be added. My Roxie will burrow under the fleece during floor time to eat the carpet, and it is not like my pigs are underfed or deprived hay.

meghannmariexx

Cavy Slave
I think an additional warning should be added. My Roxie will burrow under the fleece during floor time to eat the carpet, and it is not like my pigs are underfed or deprived hay.
Max eats the carpet too!

spacefem

Cavy Slave
I feed my piggies all sorts of food, it's like a hay buffet in there, and they still have the urge to eat their toys. My impression is that that's how they play with stuff... by chewing on it and trying to get chunks off.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.