Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n More variety

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Well first I had a b12 deficiency.. went away.. folic acid deficiency.. more pills and went away. Then my energy level just dropped to nothing. More blood tests but what they tested for looked ok. Now I have to take 20 vitamin pills a day and I'm suppose to add more variety to my diet. I think the biggest problem is I can't find anything I want to eat. I also have delayed sleep phase meaning I don't get tired untill 3 am and I don't feel like waking up till 12 noon. A common cause of that: vitamin deficiency. I'm not exactly vegetarian but I eat very little meat and most of it from local farmers that raise the animals for their own use. Beef and chicken is usually gross though.... so asking people for suggestions on what to eat has not gotten me anywhere. "Cook some steak tonight" "How about some beef or lamb stew?" Today I ate a bowl of cereal, a fried mozzarella stick, and about 5 containers of yogurt. Can you live on that? Apparently I can't cause I keep getting sick. I need some suggestions but with a few restrictions. The only vegetables I like so far are potatos and corn. I'm allergic to onions and peppers as well as maybe some other spices but not yet identified. Spaghetti is great but after you eat it 7nights in a row it loses it's appeal. I'm hungry but after searching the house and the 3 freezers we have I end up forcing myself to eat something I don't really want. I could eat yogurt all day but it's not really filling and I think I'm mostly drawn to it for the added sugar. Makes quick but poor energy. I was told if I don't fix my vitamin deficiency I could end up dead either from that or the related insomnia. I keep having to do medical withdraws from college cause I have no energy. Mostly though I'm just tired of always looking for food through packed fridge shelves and finding nothing. So ideas would be much appreciated.

Emily F.

Cavy Slave
You could talk to your doctor about different foods to eat. Search the internet. Try to eat more pasta. Keep eating yogurt, but don't live off of it. Eat more fruit, maybe grapefruit, grapes, bananas, etc.

2boar1sow

Cavy Slave
I was lucky to know a vegatarian a long time before I became one. That helped introduce me to the style of eating. Have you tried the veggie meats from Boca and Morningstar Farms? Do you like eggs? Snacking on healthy kinds of nuts would be a good idea. I like cashews. Wraps are pretty easy to make, get a tortilla put lettuce, tomato, cheese, and some kind of sauce in there, yogurt if you'd like that, I like mayo and ceaser dressing, which is hard to find without anchovies, but doable. Or greek and italian dressing are also good. Bummer that you're allergic to onions and peppers. I love making omelets with onions, green peppers, and cheese. Sometimes you have to just think positively about fruits and vegatables and convince yourself the only reason you don't like them is because you're being a wus. Thats what I did with tomatoes and am starting to do with mushrooms, yeck. If you like potatoes, baked potatos are pretty easy to make, wrap it up in tinfoil and you can either zap it in the microwave or cook it in the oven. Put some cheese, butter or margerine, sour cream, and bacon bits if you eat those. Boca has ground veggie meat to put in marinara sauce if you want to try making your pasta a little heartier. Mac and cheese and grilled cheese are always good. You didn't say anything about not liking cheese, right? Vegatarian soups are iffy. I don't know how many have onions and peppers in them. I really like Progresso's minestrone soup. You could get campbells (sp?) cream of potato, broccoli, and celery soup. You really can't taste the broccoli and celery too much. Tomato soup is good with grilled cheese. Lots of asian food is good and meatless. I personally don't like Chinese as much as Thai, Indian, Japanese, and Korean. Cheese pizza, easy to order from little ceasers and easy to find frozen ones too. Uhh...ravioli and tortellini are good cheese filled pastas. Mexican food is good with bean, potato and cheese fillings. Sandwiches with avocado in them are good. PBnJ sandwiches. Try to mix it up and not have one thing all the time. I always get sick of food when I have it too much. If you're really not feeling creative, just label days of the week as days that you're going ot have a certain food. Sunday= grilled cheese and soup. Monday=some sort of lettuce and tomato wrap (can add chicken or veggie chicken). Tuesday=spaghetti. Wednesday= go out to eat day. Whatever floats your boat. I really like making breakfast foods at any time of the day, specially omelets and veggie sausage patties. Hope that helps some. Feel free to ask for me to expand on some things or say you don't like any of the things I mentioned.

Last edited:

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the suggestions. I had eggs today and will go pick up some nuts and fruits for snacking on. I don't know why but it's the texture of crunchy vegetables like carrots, celery, brocoli.. that I never liked. I just feel like spitting it out or throwing up if I bite into a crunchy carrot but softened in soup broth they're ok so I'll go look for some soup I like. Cooking is usually a bit past my energy level but I'll try grilled cheese and tomato soup later. I haven't had that since my friend's mom used to cook them for us after we rode horses. Potatos might work for something quick when I can't find anything else. mncavylover I'll look the links and see what sounds good. I have to now take this medicine to make me sleep and one to make me wake up to try to force myself on an actually semi normal sleeping schedule so I'll have energy and my body can use the food I eat. You don't realize how much sleep controls how your body works. Thanks guys I'll try your suggestion out.

critterlover

Cavy Slave
delayed sleep phase meaning. You don't realize how much sleep controls how your body works.
I totally understand what you mean. I have exactly the same problem and have made some progress and maybe have some useful advice. I'd be interested in what you said about vitamin deficiency causing it, because I've never heard that before. Email me, if you like.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.