Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Medicine for a boo boo?

ShainaBee

Cavy Slave
Little Toasty seems to have gotten in the middle of something. She has a little ding on the top of her nose where it looks like someone "put her in her spot" All of my girls housed with her get along good so I think she just caught someone at a bad time.

It is fairly little - not even the size of a pea but it is an open wound no matter how little it is. Should I put some kind of ointment on it? or since it;s so tiny just leave it.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If it's tiny just clean it with some water or safe antiseptic (chlorhex or diluted betadine) and I wouldn't bother putting anything on it. It should heal fine. Neosporin can be harmful if ingested and being on the nose, it's almost sure to be ingested while grooming.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
Sometimes the start of a fungal infection can look like a little injury of some kind- especially on the nose. If it doesn't seem to be healing or grows in size you might want to look into treating for fungus.

https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

ShainaBee

Cavy Slave
Well I went out for a couple hours and it was there. It isn't like this has grown overnight - it was just there within 2 hours.

adriangunn

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I have a similar situation. My wife and I adopted two new piggies yesterday (females ~3 months) and it appears they had a bit of a squabble in the night. This morning one piggy had a small (5-6mm) cut or deep scratch on her face near her nose. There was a tiny amount of dried blood, but no signs of serious bleeding. Doesn't look deep. Just clean it and leave it be? Or does this require a trip to the vet?

Thanks!

Adrian & Nicole

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.