Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Summer Time

J

JJThinker

Summer Time

I can't wait for summer. I can't wait to take my piggy on a long walk. I know she'll just love the outside most of the day she is always looking out the window. My question is how do you take your pig outside? I want to just walk with it in my back/front yard or would they rather be in yet another caged area? What do you all do with your piggies? (By the way I live in Minnesota outside time is pretty much not gonna happen till all the snow melts)

Attachments

485152_10151550994270367_637715366_23915349_1904885093_n.jpg newcage1.jpg gpc2.JPG newfleece 3.jpg calvinlounge.jpg fullcagesupport.jpg girlsbox.jpg boybox.jpg Screen Shot 2013-02-17 at 4.48.07 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2013-02-17 at 4.47.47 PM.jpg coolcage.jpg newfleece 4.jpg photo.jpg newcage6.jpg newcage2.jpg newcage4.jpg newcage5.jpg photo(2).jpg photo(1).jpg guineakitch1.jpg guineakitch2.jpg

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Re: Summer Time

On warm days, I take all of my piggies outside in a large, raised garden which has a wooden border where they can't jump out. They love the great outdoors! Inside the garden, I put down lots of Timothy hay, 2 plates full of pellets, water bowls, and Hideaway houses. They have a ball and popcorn all over the garden!

Of course they also have fun during floor-time each day, where they spend 1 to 2 hours running freely on newspaper in an enclosed area and they also have hay, food, and water down for them, plus hideaway houses and "log tunnels."

When I take my piggies outdoors, they are not enclosed in cages no more, just inside the raised garden with high sides on it. Of course I stay with them the full time they are playing. We have a few cats in our neighborhood, so I'm not taking any chances. Normally it's me and someone else watching them in case something happens that one of us can't handle.

Last summer, the funniest thing happened, it started raining! And I mean POURING raining! The clouds were hardly dark either.... well anyway, all of the piggies ran into their igloos(hideaway houses)... they were stuffed in the houses too! We rounded all of them up and brought them back inside! Some of them were damp, but they shaked all of the water off of them. I give my piggies bath's frequently, just to keep them smelling good and clean, so they aren't totally scared of water, whether it be from the faucet or sky! :evil:

I HIGHLY reccomend taking guinea pigs outside, even if it's in their cages. No human nor pet likes to be stuck in the house all day. Fresh air is needed by all living things. Of course you can open up a few windows, but it still doesn't compare to actually being outside. ;)

Attachments

DSCI0086.jpg DSCI0089.jpg DSCI0096.jpg DSCI0101.jpg DSCI0110.jpg DSCI0112.jpg DSCI0114.jpg DSCI0115.jpg DSCI0118.jpg
P

pregasaurus

Re: Summer Time

My boys also love outside playtime. I too have a weather issue. I live in Toronto. No I do not live in an igloo! :)
Last summer I had some collapsable cubes that I used for outdoor time. But over the winter they have been converting to shelving in my sons room. This summer I am hoping to find the time to build a semi permanant play area out there so there will be no more set up each time they go out to play. However I have a baby coming in May and I had better get started on it soon or I may not be able to find time until mid summer.

Did I mention that I HATE SNOW! :|

Attachments

Wibble.jpg IMAG0022.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.