Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Advice from a Web Site

MomtoO&O

Cavy Slave
If the owner or author of the site is on here, I mean no disrespect.

I'm wondering what any of you experienced cavy "grandparents" think about the advice on (Edit by Ly: that site is not allowed to be linked on this site.) My pigs are only 4 months old, which is too young for the "recommended" age of reproduction as per this site.

Last edited by a moderator:

lissie

Cavy Slave
Why are you even searching for info on breeding? It is recommended NOT to breed them no matter at what age.
Breeding Guinea Pigs

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
I'm certainly not an "experienced cavy" anything, let alone cavy grandparent, thank goodness, but I'd be disinclined to rely on a web page where the author is relying on someone else, whose name s/he doesn't even know, for information.

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
I've been to that site before, and honestly I didn't like it that much. I thought much of the information was wrong.

First off, I hope you aren't planning on breeding your piggies. It's not safe at any age. Second, by that age, it would actually be more dangerous for a pig that old to have her first litter.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
I hope you aren't planning on breeding and are just curious. I'm usually curious on the breeding of animals not that I would ever consider it.

Breeding is a dangerous thing that puts the sow at a 20% chance of death. It's a gamble. Some pigs can be a lethal that don't show the gene. The pigs can come out deformed or dead. It's not fair to any party's involved.

Not to mention the thousands of guinea pigs on death row that were given up from irresponsible breeders.

Please, do your pigs a favor and don't breed.

Okay wait, you've been on here like a month and are asking about breeding? I'm sure you know that this site does not condone breeding discussions.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
I believe she is asking because both of her sows ended up being pregnant.
Doesn't Guinea Lynx have something on pregnancy?

MomtoO&O

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all of your replies. I need to let you all know that I am NOT breeding my sows and I am very against breeding!

I adopted two females from a kill shelter and they both ended up pregnant. I am inexperienced with sow pregnancy and stumbled upon that site.

Thanks Guineapiglover, I did find something on Guinea Lynx. I love that site.

What I was hoping to find (regarding that site) on this forum, was people's opinions about the dietary recommendations for pregnant sows that are young. I've just never heard it before and have received some great info from others on this site.

Again, I am against breeding.

Last edited:

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
There are risks at any age. Lots of exercise and alfalfa pellets/ or alfalfa hay are key. The "ideal" age is supposedly 6 to 8 months but even then there are risks still.

MomtoO&O

Cavy Slave
There are risks at any age. Lots of exercise and alfalfa pellets/ or alfalfa hay are key. The "ideal" age is supposedly 6 to 8 months but even then there are risks still.

Thank you. They seem to have embraced the alfalfa hay, so I'll keep on doing what I'm doing.

One of my fears is that one or both of the girls will have problems delivering or the babies will struggle. :sad:

Of course, I'll be on the forum the day they are born!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Sorry but any site that has breeding/showing info or how to's are not allowed to be posted on this site.

MomtoO&O

Cavy Slave
Ly, no apology necessary.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
It wasn't an apology but a rule that I was stating.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
I'm surprised this post got moved to the Kitchen - I had the impression she was really trying to ask if she should be basically underfeeding her pregnant sows as this site had seemed to suggest, rather than debate anything.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I'm surprised this post got moved to the Kitchen - I had the impression she was really trying to ask if she should be basically underfeeding her pregnant sows as this site had seemed to suggest, rather than debate anything.
I'm not certain why it was moved to The Kitchen either, except that MomtoO&O posted a link to a website that promotes breeding. I'm also a little confused as to why "breeding" was chosen as the prefix when it was moved here, when what she was actually looking for was advice on nutrition for young pregnant pigs. I acknowledge that the OP could have worded it a little better in the first post, or differently, but still, after reading the thread, tagging it as "breeding" doesn't make any sense to me.

I think she was only looking for input on the info provided on that site from members here because she wants to be sure she's giving her two pregnant girls everything they need to be healthy and strong. And, per usual, some members jumped all over her without knowing any background. I'd guess that's why the mods thought it was better to move it to the Kitchen.

Last edited:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I think she was only looking for input on the info provided on that site from members here because she wants to be sure she's giving her two pregnant girls everything they need to be healthy and strong. And, per usual, some members jumped all over her without knowing any background. I'd guess that's why the mods thought it was better to move it to the Kitchen.
Maybe I misunderstood the topic of the thread then. I thought she was asking if the advice from that other site was good or not and I didn't go to the link but saw a lot of members telling her not to breed.

There is nothing in her original post that suggested to me that she was looking for nutrition information. If that was what she is looking for then I am sorry for any misunderstandings. People put wrong prefixes on threads all the time that have to be changed. Perhaps I should have gone to the link she posted. I too, am only human, and I do make mistakes.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I thought she was asking if the advice from that other site was good or not and I didn't go to the link but saw a lot of members telling her not to breed.
That's all my point was - those members jumped all over her without knowing any background information or bothering to go and see if there might be an explanation for why she'd be looking up that information, sadly, as usual. I think the fact that she'd been a member here for a while would have compelled people to look into it but instead they just jumped to the conclusion that she was looking to breed and responded to that, although it was wrong.

There is nothing in her original post that suggested to me that she was looking for nutrition information. If that was what she is looking for then I am sorry for any misunderstandings. People put wrong prefixes on threads all the time that have to be changed. Perhaps I should have gone to the link she posted. I too, am only human, and I do make mistakes.
There isn't anything in the original post, but she did clear it up later. I didn't mean to criticize you for moving the thread but instead make a statement that it was the responses of the other members that might have been what motivated you to do so. I'm sorry if it seemed I was criticizing you, I wasn't.

MomtoO&O

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone. This is going to be long...

I agree that I should have worded my original post better to reflect what I said in my second post about the nutritional information. Furthermore, I wish I would have looked more closely at the site I posted a link to and I wish I had never even posted it.

Unfortunately, I was not aware that it was a site promoting breeding. I found it from doing a Google search under "stages of guinea pig pregnancy" as I've begun to feel the babies teeth grinding in the mommies' bellies and I wonder how soon it will be until they are born and I really want to be there for the birth to help if need be. In any case, the minute I found that page, I saw that it said that something about guinea pigs being under 6 months old rarely making it through deliveries (something to that affect) and I became very scared at the thought of losing my pigs. I noted the nutritional advice the site recommended and I knew that Ly and others on this site (who had given me good nutritional information in the past) would have some really good, clear guidance regarding the site.

Unfortunately, the minute I read that page, the baby monitor started making noise...my 16 month old daughter was up, and that meant my computer time was over. I thought, "Hey, maybe the people on guinea pig cages will help ease my fears of losing my newly adopted sows to pregnancy". So, in my haste to get my daughter from her crib and calm my fears for my pigs, I posted the link completely ignorant to anything else on the site since I had not read it very well at all and I made a quick, brief post without clarifying stuff that should have been clarified.

I share the convictions of many on this board: anti-pet store, very anti-breeding, which is why I have spent so much time on here and why I chose to donate money to the shelter. I guess I assumed people knew that about me by now, an assumption I will not make again. Thank you, Paula, for what you wrote. I would not have said anything because I am so uncomfortable with conflict. I really appreciate you.

Sorry for this post being so long. I just felt like I wanted to open up to all of you with more of who I was and why I posted this.

Anyway, I really am sorry to everyone for starting this thread and I feel really bad about what happened.

MomtoO&O

Cavy Slave

By the way, I second what I said to Paula to you as well. :)

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
If you can feel the babies kicking and grinding their teeth, it is usually within two weeks. But they often have them when you are not looking.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.