Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

There really IS a difference in hay...

GPDaisy

Cavy Slave
So I've had Desi for almost 2 months now, and got Dilly a couple of weeks ago. The entire time I'd just been giving them Kaytee Timothy hay, simply because it was readily available and I figured hay was hay. Well, the last bag of hay I bought was crunchy and a good bit of it was brown, so I decided to try something else.

Everything I'd read and heard was that Oxbow had the best pellets and hay. So I bit the bullet and bought it, paying an astronomical amount for shipping and fussing the entire time. Well, let me tell you, it was WORTH EVERY DIME.

I just got my order in, put the hay in the hayrack and filled their haytube. I went to prepare dinner, came back, and every bit was gone. Completely gone, not just almost gone. I put more in a few minutes ago and they have not stopped eating.

Now, I noticed a difference when I opened the box. It was GREEN, smelled really fresh, and was soft. I never saw that with Kaytee, but I'm guessing this is what it's supposed to be. ;) It's really unbelievable.

If you're thinking of switching, do it. I can't tell you how impressed I am.

pennick

Cavy Slave
I cant put hay in their hay rack fast enough. Even all the hay that spills onto the bottom of their cage gets eaten. I have become a hay slave to them. As soon as I put it in its gone.

3cavygirl

Cavy Slave
Hi!
If I live in in MN, where would be the closest place to order hay from? I also have the Kaytee petstore brand and would like to order something fresher.

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
Is there a place where I can get the hay close to me in RI?

GPDaisy

Cavy Slave
I ordered from (broken link removed). Shipping was probably pricier for me than it would be for you, but you can also use the store locator on the website to see if there is a retailer close to you.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
3cavygirl, I'm in MN--the best pricing online comes from (broken link removed). It's awesome hay, I love it!

3cavygirl

Cavy Slave
Thank you-I will look at the link right now!

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Yep, no problem--hope that helps!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
That's because KM's hay is even better than oxbow! I've heard it called "piggie crack". I know her bluegrass (now known as blue orchard grass) is heavenly. And many say the 3rd cut timmy is to die for.

pennick

Cavy Slave
I have KM's 3rd cut timmy hay. My piggies are very happy with it. I have had it now for about 3 months. I have noticed though that as I get deeper to the bottom of the box there is alot of brown hay mixed in. I dont know if KM sent it that way or if it is just turning brown by itself.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
The older the hay the browner and less nutritous it gets. Also if it's exposed to sunlight it will brown very quickly. Maybe you got the end of bale that got a bit of sunlight. If we don't get our alfalfa in the barn for a day or 2 the stuff on the ends all turns brown. I highly doubt kaytee hay is kept away from sun or weather too well. The last package I saw was all brown. I love oxbow's hay(the pigs go through like a pound of it in a day) but the 25lbs I ordered was a bit too dusty. Even taking into account normal storage situations it was a bit much so I'm going to try km's bluegrass. Oxbow is cheaper to get here in Iowa than km's if I order the 50lb size.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.