PDA

View Full Version : Just Delivered Help! Fleece + Babies = Badness

lalitalotus
04-22-09, 03:24 pm
My new pig Roxie just gave birth to four healthy babies! Woo Hoo! They are all adorable and I will post pictures very soon. But they are all burrowing in the fleece! I've re-clipped it twice, but they just squeeze in this one tiny little gap that I just can't get closed, and run around on the towels underneath. I'm afraid they'll get trapped under there, or get trampled by the other pigs, they are so small!

Does anyone have any ideas? Should I just go with aspen for the next week? Has anyone else had this problem? I'm freaking out, I'm just running around the house, terrified I'm going to kill them, they're so fragile!

Ly&Pigs
04-22-09, 03:33 pm
Try putting a food dish or brick over the spot where they are getting under the fleece. Something heavy there should do it.

4piggers
04-22-09, 04:27 pm
Can you make them something from fleece they can burrow inside instead?

fieryone
04-22-09, 04:41 pm
I have 3 burrowers and about 3 months ago I got tired of it, so I cut little slits/holes on the bottom of the coroplast, pull the fleece through and clip it. They were burrowing at any loose area and even going down the sides of it when I had the fleece clipped up along the top of the sides. They haven't even attempted to burrow since the fleece is much tighter than when it was clipped it up on the top of the sides of the coro. It makes changing the fleece a bit easier too for some reason.

You can kind of see the white clips on the outside of my cage toward the bottom in this picture
Removed second level - Guinea Pig Cage Photos (http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/14923/ppuser/10496)

lalitalotus
04-22-09, 07:41 pm
Wow Fireyone, that's a great idea, I'm hoping they're going to grow out of the habit, so for now I've put a hay-bin over the wrinkle they were wriggling through (thanks Ly.)
I have now calmed down a bit, I came across the birth in progress, and one baby was still in her sack, not moving, Roxie was absorbed in cleaning another baby so I ripped open her sack, but she wasn't moving so I rubbed her around in a cozy, eventually she started moving, and she seems fine now, but it was really scary.
And now, cute pigtures!

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/members/lalitalotus-albums-pigtures-picture1134-mini-roxie.jpg

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/members/lalitalotus-albums-pigtures-picture1132-only-3-hours-old-but-shes-got-cozy-figured-out.jpg

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/members/lalitalotus-albums-pigtures-picture1133-hes-very-tricky-camera-shy.jpg

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/members/lalitalotus-albums-pigtures-picture1130-piggy-i-had-rescue-her-sack.jpg

blackarrow
04-22-09, 07:55 pm
Adorable! I know nothing of piggy genetics but I am surprised you can get all those terrific color combos out of the same mom! What does she look like?

4piggers
04-22-09, 08:23 pm
Oh my how precious!!!

lalitalotus
04-22-09, 08:35 pm
They are almost too cute lol But I'm still afraid to pick them up, I'm worried I'll break them! Maybe I'll be brave enough tomorrow.
They are all so different! I'm amazed they all came from the same litter, there are pictures of the mom (Roxie) in my profile, she looks exactly like the baby in the first picture.
I haven't seen the babies go near any of the water bottles, I added an old hamster water bottle and hung it very low for them. Should I maybe add a bowl of water, or is their mom's milk enough?

Amsley246
04-22-09, 08:58 pm
Aww! I miss having babies around the house lol! My pixie had a litter of her own and we adopted a litter as well a few months back. Dont be afraid, it's no different than holding a grown up, just smaller. Just be careful as they tend to squirm a bit more, but I just saw down when they did that. My poor Perla leanr the hard way when I dropped her when she was a day old. I cried so hard when that happened but she pulled through. That's why I now sit when holding them lol. Good luck Grandma ( I mean that in the kindess way possible, I consider myself one!)

akstrohm
04-22-09, 09:30 pm
I wouldn't add a bowl of water. It will get dirty quickly and there's a risk of drowning. They should be able to figure out the bottle, but if you're worried, leave their veggies wet.

Very cute babies!

Shadows_Gold
04-22-09, 10:09 pm
Holy cuteness! I love them. I wouldn't mind if they came home with me!

Amsley246
04-23-09, 05:28 am
I wouldn't add a bowl of water. It will get dirty quickly and there's a risk of drowning. They should be able to figure out the bottle, but if you're worried, leave their veggies wet.

Very cute babies!

Oh yes, quite right, no bowl. They will figure it out soon enough, and it's pretty funny. They mostly just stick close to mom and keep it on the downlow for a bit til they feel it's ok. Don't worry about it! :)

seredman
04-23-09, 07:17 am
Those are some of the cutest babies I've ever seen!!
I have only ever had one litter and they were so much fun!! Good Luck!!

fieryone
04-23-09, 07:55 am
They're all beautiful! I especially love the black and orange one.

Good luck with the burrowing. If they are only going in one area then something heavy should do the trick. My girls were burrowing all over and making a huge mess underneath the fleece. :melodrama

MapleOwl18
04-23-09, 03:19 pm
I finally got sick of the burrowing looked at the dimesions in grids here (inches)
Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home (http://www.guineapigcages.com/index.htm) and cut the fleece to that. Then there was no long "house" along the side of the cage that was fun to burrow into. I then put bricks, and a chinchiller (small granite slab for keep guinea pigs and chinchillas cool), at the corners and I haven't had a burrowing problem since. Plus because I was cutting my fleece in half I doubled my fleece amount.

MomtoO&O
04-23-09, 03:32 pm
I haven't seen the babies go near any of the water bottles, I added an old hamster water bottle and hung it very low for them. Should I maybe add a bowl of water, or is their mom's milk enough?

I've got two pregnant sows and this is something I thought could be a problem. I did some reading and found an article that said they will learn from Roxie on how to use the water bottle and until then Mommy's milk is enough.

Sorry I can't find the article to link to you.

rabbitsncavyluv
04-23-09, 10:35 pm
They do tend to start nibbling on veggies. You can make them extra wet.

Hang a water bottle lower for the little ones. A hamster size one is helpful too.