Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Litter Pans

3cavygirl

Cavy Slave
Has anyone had any success training their pigs to use litter pans (plastic containers with either aspen, carefresh or pine)? If so, please post your experience. How about those that use litter pans with fleece? How many/how big are the litter pans you use?

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
I am going to try potty training. People with fleece may put hay and shredded newspaper in the litter pan some people just use a handful of woodshavings.

3cavygirl

Cavy Slave
dagwellismypigy said:
I am going to try potty training. People with fleece may put hay and shredded newspaper in the litter pan some people just use a handful of woodshavings.

Do you use fleece?

GPDaisy

Cavy Slave
I use fleece and have 3 corner litter pans filled with Carefresh, hoping they'll eventually litter train. No such luck so far, they just scoot the Carefresh out and sleep in the empty pans. But it's only been a week or so, so who knows. :)

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
My experience was actually quite simple. I observed where their cage was getting wet for about one month (it was always near one corner) and then I just placed the little pan in that corner. They still poop all over the cage, but I rarely have to clean up any wet spots. I tried to train them to use it but I found this to be next to impossible, so I just let them tell me where they wanted to go.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
yes i use fleece

3cavygirl

Cavy Slave
If I could get them to pee in a litter pan, that would be great! I am going to observe where they pee and put pans there-that is a good idea. Hopefully it will be in a good spot for a pan. One of my guinea pigs pees near where he eats, there were pee stains near the bowl. It was in a corner though. I think sometimes they don't want to hop in the pan, and would just rather scoot up into a corner and go without the fuss!

Love_my_piggies

Cavy Slave
I have three girls and I just switched to fleece a few days ago. I love it so far! The piggies are so comfy all of the time and they run around a lot more. I also observed where they went potty and put the litterbox in that corner. I can't believe how fast they took to it. I put a little of their soiled bedding in the new litterbox and they hardly pee anywhere else. Poo, on the other hand, is everywhere, but I just vacuum that up with a hand held vacuum. There is no stink. It is so funny to watch them because they will be busy doing something then turn and run and jump into the litterbox to go potty. Then they make faces like " aaaah much better". The only problem I had was the aspen getting stuck to the fleece, so I switched to carefresh. Now it seems to stink more, so I guess I'll have to use a combination of the two. I hope fleece does work out for you because I think it is much better.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I use fleece and I have a small cat litter pan in the girls cage. I don't use carefresh or shavings in it, I use newspaper and hay and CoCo uses it all the time and the other three girls are starting to use it a bit more than they did, but not exclusively. They love to sit in there and eat the hay though, lol.

Poohbear
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

3cavygirl

Cavy Slave
Queen B said:
I have succefully litter trained my cavies. All 4 of them.

Did it take a long time to train your pigs? Do they go pee and poop in the litter pans? I just switched to fleece and I love it. I clean the poops up, as they are pretty much everywhere sometimes. They do pee and poop in the little pans sometimes, but I wish they would more.

3cavygirl

Cavy Slave
ChattyCoCo said:
I use fleece and I have a small cat litter pan in the girls cage. I don't use carefresh or shavings in it, I use newspaper and hay and CoCo uses it all the time and the other three girls are starting to use it a bit more than they did, but not exclusively. They love to sit in there and eat the hay though, lol.

How oftenn do you have to change the hay? Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.