Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Question about hay placement

D

Deanne

Question about hay placement

Hi!

I was just wondering if I should place Oreo's hay in one corner or should I spread it out throughout the cage? What about one of those hay holders that I saw in the store, is that necessary?

Also, I noticed that she poops all over the cage instead of one corner, is that normal?

Thanks,

Deanne

B

BizyLizy3

Re: Question about hay placement

Yes, pooping all over the cage seems to be the norm for guinea pigs. Some people have successfully litter-box-trained their guinea pigs but it can take time and patience and here is no guarantee that one will be successful.

I have tried various means of supplying hay for my guinea pigs: placing hay in a wire-grid-hay rack, a large, heavy crock (bowl), on the floor of the cage, in a corner litterbox, and most recently, in a plastic hanging hay/veggie feeder. I like the last one the best since it keeps the hay up off the floor and therefore it doesn't get soiled. Also, unlike the wire-gird hay racks that I have, this can be placed on the outside of the cage which allows for a little more floor space for the guinea pig within the cage. My next favorite method is placing it in a heavy crock/bowl. When I used the corner (triangle) litter box, I found that the guinea pig was using the box as a toilet. Even though the hay was changed twice a hay his feet were getting too soft from the urine and the vet suggested trying another hay holder so he wouldn't end up with foot problems. Others prefer to place the hay around the cage floor in a more "natural" manner but I have found that the hay can get soiled and I use more hay that way (which is fine if one can buy hay in large quantities such as a bale). If you do prefer to place the hay on the floor of the cage, make sure that you check the hay (and any leftover veggies) periodically so that a compost-type effect isn't being created (molding vegetation).

Attachments

003.jpg 016.jpg 015.jpg 019.jpg 019.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg 012.jpg 005.jpg 001.jpg 008.jpg
D

Deanne

Thanks

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions yet again. I think I'll try the hay feeder like you have. This morning I place some hay just in one corner and she pulled is where she wanted.

Deanne

O

originalfirefly

Re: Thanks

I stuff an empty toilett paper roll with the hay. My guinea pig seems to enjoy working to get it out (as I have a hay holder too). So it acts as a toy, AND a hay holder!

Miriam

M

maryellen49

ToiletPaperRoll

My pigs just LOVE their hay put into the empty toilet paper rolls. You can also use paper towel rollers and just cut them into halves or thirds. They throw the rolls around the cage in delight.

C

cavytopia

Re: ToiletPaperRoll

I've read several people mention the toilet paper rolls with hay in them and that their piggies loved them. So we've saved 2 t.p. rolls and are going to fill them with hay and had planned to offer them to our piggies tomorrow during playtime outside of their cage. Would it be better to give it to them in their cage rather than at playtime?

B

bebegrl7

Re: Question about hay placement

i have a lil card board box with a hole in 2 sides and i stuffed the hay in it my piggewrs luv it

Attachments

gpig.jpg
G

Ginni and Zoey

hay

i have my hay in a hay rack i find it works very well but i also like to leave a hand full out of the hay rack because they like to run in it and stuff like that.

Attachments

Photo418.jpg Photo425.jpg Photo428.jpg Photo429.jpg Photo426Fr.jpg Photo427F.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.