Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi Everyone

Macross220

Cavy Slave
So my sister decided to get a pair of guinea pigs and asked me to look up what they needed.

After a day or so of research, Informed her of my findings, and it was alot more then she expected, she works a part time job and is going to college and doesn't think she would be able to handle them...

This is where I come in. She asks me if i would want them (29, single, no pets) no i'm not advertising my self lol. But i've always wanted a pet(haven't had one since my dog passed away 8 years ago, it was hard on me)

So now I'm here, doing as much research as I can, this community seems great and full of valuable information, I've found a pet shop near my place that sells Oxbow (she got a guinea pig starter kit, it came with Nutriphase gold) I got them the performance mix i think the 2 girls are about 3 months old.

They currently reside in a petshop cage, i have the parts for a C&C cage coming. I've also sectioned off a part of my apartment for floor time.(they are really hard to catch when floor time is over)

The 2 girls, Utada and Koda, are still fairly skittish but slowly getting used to me, i can get Koda to eat from my hand but Utada still has reservations. And they actually approach me during floor time now... well as long as i don't move lol.

My neighbor is a Vet, not a small animal vet unfortuantely, but she was able to provide me with quite a few numbers to a few local vets that deal with small animals.

So i've had them about 5 days now and they are adorable(even when Utada Pee'd on me). I think they can really grow on me and since i can't have a cat or dog (apartment rules) i figure they are the next best thing.

Oh yea, i do feed them fresh veggies everyday, i make sure to always fill up the Hay bin(full of timmothy hay) and make sure they have fresh water everyday before i leave for work and when i get home i give them floor time as i prepare thier veggies.

They are alot more then i expected, but when Koda started Squeeking for veggies yesterday, i think it was worth it to me.

Anywho... Hi everyone!

claire

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC! It sounds like you're off to a great start with your girls. Believe me, they really will grow on you. That first time they relax when you're holding them - better than chocolate! ;) It's worth waiting for. You'll see a big difference in them when they get a C&C cage too. They generally seem to become bolder when they have room to run around and you get to see their personalities blossom. I spend more time watching the piggies (even when they're only snoozing) than I do watching tv these days.

One note of caution though, are you certain they're both girls? As you'll have seen if you've looked around the forum, if the piggies came from a petshop originally there's a good chance they were mis-sexed. There's info here to help you , https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html and if you're not certain, a cavy-savvy vet will be able to make sure.

If you have any questions at all about pretty much anything, there's generally a member who can point you in the right direction. Hope you enjoy GPC and your new piggies!

fieryone

Cavy Slave
Welcome! It sounds like you're starting off on the right foot with your new piggies and you will soon find that you're addicted to the little critters.

I was just saying to my husband the other day, "Who in the world decided that guinea pigs were a low maintenance pet for kids??" lol But they're lots of fun and we all enjoy them.

Saskafrass

Cavy Slave
I got my piggy around the same time as you. Of course I also was not expecting as much but I knew I could handle it for my cute little guy.

Make sure to watch out for anything if you got him from a petstore. I got my guy from the petstore, which I know know I should have gone to a shelter, and he is getting a check up at the vet as I type. Last night I saw that one of his eyes was bulging less than the other and had something underneath the eye. He wasn't sneezing but still I told the vet to check it out aswell.

It's always good to get a check up if you are unsure about alot of things (Like age, sex etc.)

Hope you have a good time with your new piggies, because I am with mine. c:

Saskafrass

Cavy Slave
I know. I went to the store to re-purchase a water bottle (since mine leaked everywhere) and I noticed it said "For ages 7 and up" ... I was like "What?" Kids that young would not know how to feed it, clean the cage etc. I don't know why it says that.

SheriMartini

Cavy Slave
Welcome!! And yes, I just got my pig a little over a week ago, and I don't know what I would have done without this website! You can learn sooo much here, I spend at least a few hours a day here. :)

Macross220

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the welcome! Yea my sister got them at a pet store on an impulse, not knowing what she was getting into. Let's hope they're sexed right and let's pray they're not pregnant! i need to get them to a vet and figure out age health and what not. I'll probably go this weekend.

Macross220

Cavy Slave
Almost forgot Pictures!

This is Utada.

This is Koda.

Hard to photograph Utada, she's too skittish, i'll try to get them together soon, and not off my camera phone....

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Hey and Welcome to GPC! Hope you enjoy the site, I'm sure you will learn a ton.

Macross220

Cavy Slave
So I've gotten them Oxbow Cavy performance, I'm taking them to the Vet tomorrow and C&C cage was shipped out yesterday :)

Enjoy this new pic I took of them together... Utada still looks a bit scared...

Macross220

Cavy Slave
Both Girls had thier vet visit saturday and are both happy, unpregnant females, my C&C cage should be coming this monday or tuesday, more pics to come.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.