Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Questions about males, females, pregnancy and nuetering

T

Tiffcavylover

Questions about males, females, pregnancy and nuetering

I have a pregnant pig and she shares the cage with the father. He gets pretty upset when I separate them during her last days of pregnancy. But I was told by pet stores to always keep them apart during her pregnancy.

The male has a bad attitude too. I kept two of the babies from her last litter which are male and they get along fine. I was wondering if it would be okay to put all the males in the same cage until the mother gives birth.

I plan on getting the male neutered so that this doesn't occur anymore because I was told by cavy spirit that if I kept breeding her that she'd die from giving birth. Anyone knows anything about this? They also told me that there's a chance of my pig dying in surgery because of the anastesia that they put them up under. Anyone else have any other suggestions. I need to get him fixed asap.

Also, I am trying to find homes for the babies as well. If anyone knows of any places that will take them please e-mail me at [email protected]. I live in Northern California and would like to find a home for them asap.:lol:
Tiffany

Attachments

008.jpg 007.jpg 006.jpg 381.jpg Snapshot_20120402_4.jpg Snapshot_20120402_3.jpg Snapshot_20120402.jpg 379.jpg 377.jpg 375.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg 380625_309995252350519_100000201416611_1441766_894498512_n.jpg
S

semcavylover

I agree completely with cavyspirit. You need to separate the boar from the sow as soon as possible because he can breed her back within three hours after giving birth. Your males should be alright living together, but you should be able to make another cage in case you need to remove the older male, especially if he has a bad attitude.

It is very risky to breed your sow, I hope you read this site... www.cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm

Attachments

028.jpg

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Re: Questions about males, females, pregnancy and nuetering

Despite what some people will tell you, most boars *will* fight if they've sensed there's a female near by. When I used to have boars, there was some that had never even been close to a female, and they fought all of the time. I now have 12 females, and they do fight occasionally, but not nearly as bad as the males did. Of course this is true with other animals as well.

I don't believe in neutering and spaying animals, I would just seperate the pigs that you don't won't to be together. And no, I don't reccomend you putting all of the males together while the female is pregnant. You might want to buy/build more cages for the males.

T

Tiffcavylover

Thanks for the replies. I think I should just get another cage. But the problem is that the male hates to be separated from the female because they get along so fine. What should I do about that. I know that neutering won't help since it's risky and all. Any other solutions?

Attachments

DSC01678.jpg Leobasket.jpg

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave

You SHOULD get the male neutered IF you can find a good guinea pig vet. See this page on neutering: www.cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.