Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Pregnant Piggie Acting Weird

MomtoO&O

Cavy Slave
Ophelia is laying on her belly, hind legs out and isn't moving very much at all. She's sort of shifting around but not walking a lot and certainly did not run around during floor time. She is eating fine.

Her vet is closed, there is an after hours number I can call if I need to. I do not know if they have a cavy savy vet there, or if they can get ahold of our vet.

Does this sound like she's just going to deliver, or is this normal and I'm being paranoid?

bobismyturtle

Cavy Slave
Is it her due date? She could be just tired.Pregnant pigs get tired quickly.Im not completly sure though.I hope shes just fine though.

MomtoO&O

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately, I really have no clue when she conceived. It definitely wasn't on my watch, had to be her previous owner. I've only had her for a little over 3 weeks. She's now walking like she is trying to lift her belly high or off the ground. I don't see any movement in her belly, but I've barely noticed much on her anyway. So, with what little knowledge I have (this is my first time with this sort of thing) I wonder if she is just getting into late pregnancy. I baby proofed her cage with coroplast on the sides, so maybe she feels safe to lay around outside of her pigloo.

BabyBellie

Cavy Slave
My Alice did this towards the end of her pregnancy. Hers was a back to back pregnancy and you could definately see it was taking a toll on her. I figured her walking taller and lying funny was just her way of trying to deal with her giant belly and stay comfortable. She still likes to lie that way though. I would say that if she seems to be eating and drinking and acting normally aside from being tired, shes probably okay. Have fun with the babies. You sound like you're already becoming a good piggie grandma!

MomtoO&O

Cavy Slave
Thank you!

I also think this must be towards the end of her pregnancy. But, I'm concerned then that there isn't any movement coming from the babies. Do you remember if when Alice was acting like this if you could see kicks and stuff?

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
I never saw movement from my Lucy's belly, besides once, but I wasn't exactly sure if it was her or her belly, its hard to tell. If she's eating and drinking normally I wouldn't worry. She's probably just exhausted having such a big belly. It's probably hard walking around with her belly dragging, and hard to lay down with babies all over your sides.

BabyBellie

Cavy Slave
It depended on the time. Sometimes I could feel little kicks and sometimes I couldn't. When I got her she was already 7 weeks pregnant so I never saw her early on in the pregnancy. She was in pretty rough shape. I do remember that I wasn't sure if I was feeling kicks at first. They were so gentle. I also remember that she was HUGE towards the very end though. She ended up having 5 babies though. Also, I found that if she was stressed that the babies would move more at first but as she froze they would to. That could have just been a fluke though. I pretty well just added alphalfa to her diet, gave her a comfy place to lie and let her do her own thing while keeping an eye on her. She really just wanted to lie in her cuddle bag most of the time. I would say that she's probably fine and may just not be far enough along to feel babies, or they just don't want you to know they're in there.lol

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I'd keep an eye on her and make sure she is maintaining weight.

If you hold her in your lap til she relaxes, you can usually feel her belly easier.

You just want to make sure she moves around. If she is less active and won't move, she is more at risk for toxemia. You want her blood flowing.

MomtoO&O

Cavy Slave
Update!

Well she's maintaining weight, and moving around much more. We had a heat wave for a couple of days. I gave them really wet veggies and put a fan near the cage.

They both are getting exercise, especially Olive who jumps on top of the pigloos. Ophelia is getting increasingly more irritable towards Olive. Today there was some type of issue and it seemed like Ophelia wasn't letting Olive out of her hidey house. Ophelia stood at the door of the hidey, hair on her neck raised. She left when she saw me coming and Olive eventually left the hidey.

Ophelia is literally huge. I think she's really uncomfortable.

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
They do get pretty uncomfortable and irritable during pregnancy much like humans do. If it gets to bad try to put a grid wall between them untill the babies are here at. That way they will still be able to be next to eachtoher and talk to eachother and Ophelia will be less stressed and irritated because she can be alone.

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
I haven't been on in a while to check back on the threads I've posted on, so I am now, and I'm wondering why the advice I gave was a no thanks. You are supposed to seperate an uncomfortable pig when they are pregnant to relive some stress.

Also, how is Ophelia doing since there wasnt an update posted. Hope all is well!

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
From what I've read, it's generally not recommended to separate. Separation from a cage mate can cause a lot of stress, fear and depression. Also, as guinea pigs are herd animals, other pigs will help the mother through labor and help clean the babies and care for them once they're cleaned. If the mother pig is just being grumpy, but eating and drinking and there's no physical fighting I see no reason to separate.

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
I've read that also, thats why I only said to do it if it gets too bad, and to make sure they are still next to eachother. Thank you!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.