PDA

View Full Version : A New Beginning...

Newbiepiggie
04-19-09, 09:13 am
Hello everyone!
I'm just new here..
And I haven't quite figured out how things work here...
But this is a start, right?

Anyway,
I signed in here 'coz I just bought a new pet of mine.
A guinea pig! It's my very first time to have such kind of pet.
I haven't posted the pics yet since I'm still making my way here.
I'm not pretty sure what kind of guinea pig is he.
But I do hope that when I able to post his pic here, you might help me identify.

I'm from Philippines. And I named my guinea pig - Eru!

Hope to get to know a lot of people here who can be my friends
and at the same time, discuss things about our pets... :D

erikahand83
04-19-09, 10:23 am
Welcome to GPF, you'll find alot of useful information on this website if you haven't already. First off, what kind of cage do you have him in? If it's a petstore cage its pretty much guaranteed to be to small. You'll need to build him a c&c cage to get enough space for him. You can go to the cage part of the forum to learn how to do that. Second, what are you feeding him. You can find information on that in the diet and nutrition part of the forum. Again welcome Newbiepiggie and Eru.

bobismyturtle
04-19-09, 06:05 pm
Welcome to the forum.I look forward to seeing pigtures!

Newbiepiggie
04-21-09, 06:43 pm
Thanx for the warm welcome erikahand83 and bobismyturtle...

Anyway, I'm back!
And here are some pics of my Eru!

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1120&thumb=1 Eru's front view. Hehe... Look at the bangs :P

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1121&thumb=1 his side-view ^^,) Look at the brown patch in his left ear. :D

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1123&thumb=1 this is his body pic... can anyone help me identify what kind of piggy he is? When I bought him...the store owner said he's Peruvian. But when I looked over the net.. he looks Abyssinian. He's 3 months old already according to the store owner...

Newbiepiggie
04-21-09, 08:11 pm
Uhmm..also, is it ok that if I will give him company, I'd put in a girl piggie?

ferndalezoo
04-21-09, 08:15 pm
He looks peruvian to me. Just his hair hasn't grown in all the way yet.

If you get him a buddy (and you're sure it's a HE!) the buddy needs to be another BOY, unless you get your boy neutered first.

Be sure to check out some of the other threads on here, that other people from the Philipines have started-- I know there is a lot of difficulty there finding appropriate bedding/food/caging, etc/.

Peggysu
04-21-09, 08:15 pm
Same sex pairs is best.

Mrs.Smith
04-21-09, 08:25 pm
First, what size cage do you have him in?

If you don't have the right size cage for him. You need to get everything he needs first...if you are wanting him company...plan on getting a bigger cage.

benifits of bigger cage - easier to clean, more room for him to exercise on his time.
benifits of a c&c cage - all that above, and ALOT cheaper. and alot more roomy. also your gps LOVE C&C Cages. hehe. :D

"Uhmm..also, is it ok that if I will give him company, I'd put in a girl piggie?"

Is he or the girl your going to get neutered or spayed?

Pregnancy is a VERY BIG risk for the female and the babies. And they breed like rabbits.

The safest way to have gps and not have them go though risky surgery or risky pregnancy...is to pair them up like:

boy/boy
or
girl/girl

Also if your going to look into getting another gp....you could check out animal shelters (providing you haven't done that)....gps there need a home and a playmate. :)

Oh, and WELCOME!

Mrs.Smith
04-21-09, 08:27 pm
sorry people above me, I guess I was still typing while you posted.

bobismyturtle
04-23-09, 07:19 pm
He looks like an Abby.Deffinetly.
He is super cute.:D Get him neutered if you want a girl. Breeding isnt really supported here. Or you could get him a boy friend.That livened my Chester up very quick.

Jasper_Hale
04-23-09, 07:35 pm
Welcome!! Hope you will learn alot here.