Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage New anxious piggy owner...help?

MarielyPoo

Cavy Slave
MY parents were one of the many who thought a piggy was a good starter pet, I had one piggy at the age of 8 in one of those ridiculous Petsmart cages. Needless to say, she died. :sad:

11 years later I'm giving them a try again.

My friend is a breeder and is selling me two, I have gathered as much info as I can and i made my own C&C cage.
i'm still very queasy about a mistake I might make or something I haven't catched so any tips on bedding? what is this fleece talk I hear about?

any personal experiences? anything will help

Here's my cage, the rampisn't in yet it's 2x4 grids with 2x2 grids on top

I'm getting my piggies tomorrow, I was tight with the money this month so I had to improvise with shoe boxes :shhh:...the shoe box on top is covered in a fleece blanket for napping

cage.jpg

they're about 2 months old from what I hear...will they get too big for the cage?

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
First, you will find that this site is strongly anti-breeding and pro-adoption. Pregnancy is extremely hard on guinea pigs and carries high risks. Please read this entire page, and have your friend read it as well: Breeding Guinea Pigs

You can read all about fleece here: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/21568-fleece-project-study.html

Your cage will be big enough, but definitely add another hidey or two. If you only have one, you might have problems with them fighting. Also be aware that it can take a little while for pigs to use ramps, and if they don't, you need to put the hay on the main level until they do.

Other than that, just make sure that you are 100% certain that you have two females or two males. Definitely check out the stickies in the diet and nutrition forum. There are charts of the appropriate veggies to feed and sample menus there. Start with lettuce (not iceberg) and bell pepper. They also need unlimited pellets if they are under 6 months; otherwise 1/8 cup per pig per day is good. You can feed alfalfa pellets if they are under 6 months as well. Good brands of pellets are Kleenmama, Oxbow, Mazuri 5664, and Sweet Meadow. Do not feed Kaytee or any other pet store brands. They will also need unlimited grass hay. Kleenmama makes great hay, but you can go with other brands too.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Please do not buy them from a breeder. Adopt and save two lives instead Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder

The grids you have are also unsafe esp. for babies. Please do not put any pigs in that cage unless you get the safe grids.

The gaps in your cubes are too big and they can die if they get stuck. You need grids that are 9 cubes across.

AllysGuineas

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Sound like your doing great so far!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If you haven't read this thread, please do so because it's about the Target Grids.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...t-new-target-grids-dangerous-please-read.html

The ones you have (8x8 and 5x5) are very dangerous and your pig could get stuck in the grids and die.

Sound like your doing great so far!
Great with what? She wants to buy pigs from a breeder instead of adopting and has dangerous grids that can kill her pigs so I don't see how you can say what you did. With some changes I am sure she will be a great piggie slave.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.