Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Develops pear shape when laying down. Stomach touches the ground

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
Recently, Carly has developed a pear shape when she lays down and her stomach touches the ground. Both of my Guinea Pigs are girls. I've checked. Could she possibly be pregnant?

walleandeva

Cavy Slave
If you are 100% certain the other one isn't a boy and she hasnt been in contact with any boys then, there is no way possible she could be pregnant.

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
She was housed by a boy in Petco. Their cages were right next to each other.

walleandeva

Cavy Slave
Think about it. could you get pregnant if a boy just lived next door to you? Unless they were in the same cage then they couldnt "do it".

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Yeah but Petno sucks. I wouldn't trust them.

walleandeva

Cavy Slave
Have a gentle feel of her stomach and see if you can feel anything or, take her to a vet if you're not sure.

krittercrazy

Cavy Slave
You've had her since Jan. 26, haven't you? If she got pregnant in the store she is over due and needs to see a vet. Gestation is 59-72 days, I believe.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
You've had her since Jan. 26, haven't you? If she got pregnant in the store she is over due and needs to see a vet. Gestation is 59-72 days, I believe.

You are right, 59-72 days. She could maybe have a tumor or a Ovarian Cyst, or something is very wrong with the babies, so it would be a green light to get her checked out and fast. How has she been acting lately? Piggers are very good at hiding things. How much weight has she gained when you weigh her (or how much do you think if you don't).

jenniwat001

Cavy Slave
I had the same issue- I got a pig from a rescue and she gained heaps of weight and looked pregnant. Anyway- three and a half months later and all I've got is one fat pig. She looks pregnant and weighs over a kilo! But no babies. I had her checked by a vet and yup shes just a porker! So I wouldn't worry too much you just have a chubby guinea pig. If in doubt get her checked by the vet.

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
Actually, I've figured out that she's gaining weight like Sandy and Sandy is just plain fat! Thank goodness. I don't have a kitchen scale yet but that's on my to-do list. I think its just the way she lays. She has done that many times before but I really never noticed it.
Thanks for the information everybody!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.