Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Is Cement Floor Dangerous?

Zoe09

Cavy Slave
I just brought a gorgeous Guinea Pig today and have a beautiful very large bird avery perfect for our new Zoe but it has a concrete floor. My mother said Guinea Pigs can get foot rot and need a floor suspended of the ground. Is this true? I would hate to put Zoe at risk of health problems if the floor is not appropriate. I have being unable to find any info on floor type. Any advise would be appreciated :)

trump_cinnamon

Cavy Slave
If you put fleece/towels down, the cement should be fine. I would just be concerned about how cold it was on the cement, and how hard it was.

Zoe09

Cavy Slave
I have a large section of dirt over the cement floor and a large part still cement. I then have a bed which is about a foot size that is full of hay which is where she is alot and its also enclosed. The avery is very large over 6m in length and 3m wide 2m tall. She is my only one at the moment. I planned on buying two but the other female they said was sick and I couldn't buy mixed genders so I took her on her own. I have being looking for 3months and have not being able to get any so I think it might be some time before I can find another. I drove 300kms to pick two up and ended up only getting Zoe. I am worried about the cold (although its still hot her around the 25-30degrees). The cage is outdoors although I would consider it well set up except ?the floor. Maybe I should get another one that can come inside and have the large one for the day time and the warmer weather.

walleandeva

Cavy Slave
If you're worried about the cold, maybe you should build a large c&c cage for indoors. Your piggie will love you for it.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You should have a cage inside for your piggie permanently. There are too many risks for housing them outdoors. Dirt and concrete is not suitable bedding. Dirt is a breeding ground for bacterias. There are also predators both of an animal variety and of a human variety. You can't monitor illness well when they are housed outdoors. I know it may be the norm where you live but it's not proper nor appropriate to house them outside especially with winter coming.

Zoe09

Cavy Slave
Cool thanks for your replies. Yes outdoors is the most common (and only one I had heard of) here but thats easily fixed got a new cage on order and a perfect spot inside. Its pretty big with two levels so when I do get another one or two there will still be plenty of room. I was told to put dirt down from a friend who has had piggies for years. She said when her's run around the yard they go straight to the dirt ro crash as its nice and cool in the summer so thats why I did it. Ill tell her about this site as although she has had them for years I don't think she knows as much as I do now thanks to this site. I know she has just joined one of her piggies to have some babies and if she knew the risks she would never do it so I'm sure she will be joining very soon. Thanks again.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Great! Glad to hear you will be housing your piggies indoors.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.