PDA

View Full Version : Signs of Pregnancy I think Ophelia could be pregnant.

MomtoO&O
04-14-09, 10:02 pm
So, Ophelia (and Olive, both born in Dec. 08) were adopted three weeks ago from a local animal shelter. Their brothers were also at the shelter, but when I saw them, they were housed separately. In any case, I am starting to think Ophelia is pregnant.

We went to the vet 2 weeks ago for a wellness check and she confirmed that they were both girls (I'm awful at telling the difference) and she said she thought neither were pregnant.

Well, since then I've been noticing some things. First of all, I feel two bumps on her sides, by her hips. They felt like little water balloons. Secondly, someone (perhaps both) is drinking way more water than before.

I have not weighed them because I do not own a scale, but I am going to buy one tomorrow. Also, I'm making another appointment with our vet.

Am I imagining things or is Ophelia possibly pregnant? Any advice is welcome!

MomtoO&O
04-14-09, 10:50 pm
So, to give you guys an update...

I went on the Guinea Lynx site and followed the link to the Mette the Vette page about pregnancy symptoms. If Ophelia, is pregnant, she is in early pregnancy. There is no movement in the bumps, they just feel like water balloons.

I'll start weighing her weekly tomorrow.

MomtoO&O
04-16-09, 10:26 pm
So, I am calling the vet in the morning. Ophelia's nipples are much larger than before. I actually thought she had something stuck in her fur and when I looked, I found huge nipples. Her belly feels and looks larger, she is getting more pear-shaped in comparison to how she used to be. The bulges on her sides move with her...and, I felt little movements on each side.

I'm not sure if anyone is following this thread that I seem to be keeping. But, if you are, any and all advice for caring for a pregnant cavy is welcome. I will read Guinea Lynx and whatever else I can get my hands on tomorrow. As for now, I have some homework to do.

salana
04-16-09, 10:29 pm
It does sound like she's pregnant. Good luck with her!

MomtoO&O
04-16-09, 11:06 pm
Thank you, Salana! I will do my best. If I am wrong, and she's not pregnant, I am going to feel like a dork. :)

salana
04-17-09, 11:46 am
If you feel little kung fu kicks from her sides she's probably pregnant. That's how my pig Jackie got his name, after Jackie Chan. He and his brother kept kicking like crazy before they were born. Poor Suzi looked so uncomfortable with a belly full of squirmy piglet.

4piggers
04-17-09, 11:57 am
Well first, gestation is 62-70 days, and she will need twice as much Vitamin C to prevent toxemia.

And second, dont feel like a dork, at least you are able to notice a change in her. And if shes not pregnant you will know to keep an eye on the lumps.

Much luck to you...:)

BabyBellie
04-17-09, 01:00 pm
Adding calcium is easy. Just add some alphalfa hay to her regular grass hay. Also, if she is pregnant be sure to babyproof your cage. Good luck and keep us updated.

Ly&Pigs
04-17-09, 01:07 pm
Gestation is normally 59-72 days.

I don't know where some people get their info from but toxemia isn't prevented by Vitamin C.

MomtoO&O
04-17-09, 07:47 pm
We just returned from the vet and BOTH girls are pregnant!

I'm feeling really overwhelmed by the news but here's my plan of action so far:

Buy another 2x4 C&C Cage to use as needed with the babies, as well as extra grids and ties so I can baby proof the cage. I probably won't be able to keep all of the babies in the long run,

Switch to Oxbow Alfalfa hay, Cavy Performance (I haven't been able to find it locally and may need to order it.)

These are the menus I've been working with for the girls: http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/24770-sample-veggie-menus.html
Is it okay to continue these?

Ophelia is farther along than Olive, but maybe only by a week judging by how Ophelia has been growing. We did not do an xray because my vet was squeezing me in.

bobismyturtle
04-17-09, 08:26 pm
Oh you are deffinetly going to have your hands full. If I were you,I would call the place where you got them from,and make a suggestion not to keep pigs together.Im sure you will have a fun experience though.:D

akstrohm
04-17-09, 08:37 pm
Keep the pigs on grass hay. You can add alfalfa hay too if you want or you can use Cavy Performance or you can add veggies that are richer in calcium. The moms and the babies will need one of these options. You can stick with the same veggie menus (except for adding calcium-rich veggies if you go that route). Also, I recommend calling the shelter and letting them know that they need to separate pigs at 21 days. Good luck!

MomtoO&O
04-17-09, 09:02 pm
Is grass hay Timothy Hay? They don't like the alfalfa, so I'd prefer to mix it up.

guineapigluver1
04-17-09, 09:09 pm
Yes, timothy hay is a grass hay (other grass hays are bluegrass, bermuda, brome and orchard). You have three options:
Give a small handful of alfalfa hay each day in addition to unlimited grass hay
Feed alfalfa based pellets
Add veggies that are richer in calcium

If they don't like alfalfa hay, try the other two options.

MomtoO&O
04-17-09, 09:14 pm
Good, I will do that then. Thank you.

guineapigluver1
04-17-09, 09:18 pm
No problem.
I hope everything goes okay with both of them.

MomtoO&O
04-17-09, 11:48 pm

I don't know where some people get their info from but toxemia isn't prevented by Vitamin C.

Ly, speaking of Vitamin C, would you recommend I give my pigs Oxbow vitamin C tablets? I'm following the menus you posted a couple of years ago, but perhaps I should also supplement, especially during pregnancy?

MomtoO&O
04-17-09, 11:50 pm
I am so glad I found this site. Thank you to each of you and I will definitely be posting pictures and keeping everyone updated on the pregnant mamas!

Sorry, I suppose I should have just edited my above reply. I'm still getting the hang of using a message board. Oops!

4piggers
04-18-09, 05:52 am
Ly, speaking of Vitamin C, would you recommend I give my pigs Oxbow vitamin C tablets? I'm following the menus you posted a couple of years ago, but perhaps I should also supplement, especially during pregnancy?

You dont need to do tablets if you give a good diet.

IluvePiggies
04-18-09, 08:16 am
Congrats. Make sure you follow the things people just said. What's funny is when my Carly lays out, she develops a pear shape which I keep thinking she's pregnant but whenever she's standing, she's not a pear! *Laugh* But her stomach does touch the ground. Unlike Sandy who is also a girl! I've checked.

4piggers
04-18-09, 09:02 am

I get my information from vets and the internet...

Ly&Pigs
04-18-09, 12:12 pm
Ly, speaking of Vitamin C, would you recommend I give my pigs Oxbow vitamin C tablets? I'm following the menus you posted a couple of years ago, but perhaps I should also supplement, especially during pregnancy?No, not if you are giving a good varied diet. If you give too much C and then later drop it suddenly, it can produce pseudoscurvy.

The only thing you need to increase is the calcium a bit.

I get my information from vets and the internet...Many sites on the net do not have correct information. I'd be careful about where you get your info on the net. I'd only trust this site, guinealynx and the pigloo.

4piggers
04-18-09, 07:52 pm
No, not if you are giving a good varied diet. If you give too much C and then later drop it suddenly, it can produce pseudoscurvy.

The only thing you need to increase is the calcium a bit.

Many sites on the net do not have correct information. I'd be careful about where you get your info on the net. I'd only trust this site, guinealynx and the pigloo.

LOL of course

rabbitsncavyluv
04-18-09, 08:55 pm
Oh wow, both are pregnant?

The animal shelter is not at fault this time. They separated them when they came in. Their previous owner did not separate them in time.

Good luck.

You can also use alfalfa based pellets if they don't like the alfalfa hay. KM sells a nice bluegrass/ alfalfa mix too.

akstrohm
04-18-09, 09:43 pm
The animal shelter should have waited until they were sure they were not pregnant before adopting them out, or at least warned potential adopters of the risk of pregnancy. Since they came in with a male, pregnancy was highly likely even if they weren't showing any clear signs at the time.

rabbitsncavyluv
04-18-09, 10:26 pm
I see your point and agree but Animal shelters don't have that luxury sometimes. They either adopt the pets out in a timely manner or euthanize them.

This is not a no kill rescue where she got them from but a public animal control facility that gets in hundreds of dogs, cats, rabbits, etc in. They cannot care for them all indefinitely.

This shelter does euthanize small animals if they do not get adopted within weeks or they run out of space, and they are one of the better shelters out here.

If you need any help sexing the babies, or rehoming them, let us know. We do have a few volunteers up near you. Good luck with them.

MomtoO&O
04-18-09, 11:26 pm
If you need any help sexing the babies, or rehoming them, let us know. We do have a few volunteers up near you. Good luck with them.

Thank you! I really appreciate you!

So, Ophelia simply does not want Olive (or anyone) around her right now...unless it is me and I have veggies in hand. I've actually seen her hair stand straight up on her neck. Olive keeps trying to smell Ophelia's bottom, and Ophelia nips at her and has been looking like she is going to attack her.

I would like to separate them, and I think Ophelia's pregnancy is later than I thought because she was not like this until today. Should I separate them? I don't want to stress Olive out, or Ophelia, but I think there is a fight on the horizon.

Oh, I should add that if they get separated, one has to go in a 3 sq ft store bought cage until my second 2x4 c&c arrives later this week.

erikahand83
04-18-09, 11:59 pm
You could always put a grid down the middle of the cage if you think separating them is necessary, then they can still see each other. I've heard that sows can stay together during births though as a support to the mommy to be, kinda like an auntie to be.

rabbitsncavyluv
04-19-09, 11:46 pm
I wouldn't separate them. She may be grouchy. If you separate them, it will be harder to put them back together again.

You may want to add another hidey or more food or toys.