Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

I think Ophelia could be pregnant.

MomtoO&O

Cavy Slave
So, Ophelia (and Olive, both born in Dec. 08) were adopted three weeks ago from a local animal shelter. Their brothers were also at the shelter, but when I saw them, they were housed separately. In any case, I am starting to think Ophelia is pregnant.

We went to the vet 2 weeks ago for a wellness check and she confirmed that they were both girls (I'm awful at telling the difference) and she said she thought neither were pregnant.

Well, since then I've been noticing some things. First of all, I feel two bumps on her sides, by her hips. They felt like little water balloons. Secondly, someone (perhaps both) is drinking way more water than before.

I have not weighed them because I do not own a scale, but I am going to buy one tomorrow. Also, I'm making another appointment with our vet.

Am I imagining things or is Ophelia possibly pregnant? Any advice is welcome!

MomtoO&O

Cavy Slave
So, to give you guys an update...

I went on the Guinea Lynx site and followed the link to the Mette the Vette page about pregnancy symptoms. If Ophelia, is pregnant, she is in early pregnancy. There is no movement in the bumps, they just feel like water balloons.

I'll start weighing her weekly tomorrow.

MomtoO&O

Cavy Slave
So, I am calling the vet in the morning. Ophelia's nipples are much larger than before. I actually thought she had something stuck in her fur and when I looked, I found huge nipples. Her belly feels and looks larger, she is getting more pear-shaped in comparison to how she used to be. The bulges on her sides move with her...and, I felt little movements on each side.

I'm not sure if anyone is following this thread that I seem to be keeping. But, if you are, any and all advice for caring for a pregnant cavy is welcome. I will read Guinea Lynx and whatever else I can get my hands on tomorrow. As for now, I have some homework to do.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
It does sound like she's pregnant. Good luck with her!

MomtoO&O

Cavy Slave
Thank you, Salana! I will do my best. If I am wrong, and she's not pregnant, I am going to feel like a dork. :)

Last edited:

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
If you feel little kung fu kicks from her sides she's probably pregnant. That's how my pig Jackie got his name, after Jackie Chan. He and his brother kept kicking like crazy before they were born. Poor Suzi looked so uncomfortable with a belly full of squirmy piglet.

4piggers

Cavy Slave
Well first, gestation is 62-70 days, and she will need twice as much Vitamin C to prevent toxemia.

And second, dont feel like a dork, at least you are able to notice a change in her. And if shes not pregnant you will know to keep an eye on the lumps.

Much luck to you...:)

BabyBellie

Cavy Slave
Adding calcium is easy. Just add some alphalfa hay to her regular grass hay. Also, if she is pregnant be sure to babyproof your cage. Good luck and keep us updated.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Gestation is normally 59-72 days.

I don't know where some people get their info from but toxemia isn't prevented by Vitamin C.

MomtoO&O

Cavy Slave
We just returned from the vet and BOTH girls are pregnant!

I'm feeling really overwhelmed by the news but here's my plan of action so far:

Buy another 2x4 C&C Cage to use as needed with the babies, as well as extra grids and ties so I can baby proof the cage. I probably won't be able to keep all of the babies in the long run,

Switch to Oxbow Alfalfa hay, Cavy Performance (I haven't been able to find it locally and may need to order it.)

These are the menus I've been working with for the girls: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/24770-sample-veggie-menus.html
Is it okay to continue these?

Ophelia is farther along than Olive, but maybe only by a week judging by how Ophelia has been growing. We did not do an xray because my vet was squeezing me in.

bobismyturtle

Cavy Slave
Oh you are deffinetly going to have your hands full. If I were you,I would call the place where you got them from,and make a suggestion not to keep pigs together.Im sure you will have a fun experience though.:D

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Keep the pigs on grass hay. You can add alfalfa hay too if you want or you can use Cavy Performance or you can add veggies that are richer in calcium. The moms and the babies will need one of these options. You can stick with the same veggie menus (except for adding calcium-rich veggies if you go that route). Also, I recommend calling the shelter and letting them know that they need to separate pigs at 21 days. Good luck!

MomtoO&O

Cavy Slave
Is grass hay Timothy Hay? They don't like the alfalfa, so I'd prefer to mix it up.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Yes, timothy hay is a grass hay (other grass hays are bluegrass, bermuda, brome and orchard). You have three options:
Give a small handful of alfalfa hay each day in addition to unlimited grass hay
Feed alfalfa based pellets
Add veggies that are richer in calcium

If they don't like alfalfa hay, try the other two options.

MomtoO&O

Cavy Slave
Good, I will do that then. Thank you.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
No problem.
I hope everything goes okay with both of them.

MomtoO&O

Cavy Slave
Gestation is normally 59-72 days.

I don't know where some people get their info from but toxemia isn't prevented by Vitamin C.

Ly, speaking of Vitamin C, would you recommend I give my pigs Oxbow vitamin C tablets? I'm following the menus you posted a couple of years ago, but perhaps I should also supplement, especially during pregnancy?

MomtoO&O

Cavy Slave
I am so glad I found this site. Thank you to each of you and I will definitely be posting pictures and keeping everyone updated on the pregnant mamas!

Sorry, I suppose I should have just edited my above reply. I'm still getting the hang of using a message board. Oops!

4piggers

Cavy Slave
Ly, speaking of Vitamin C, would you recommend I give my pigs Oxbow vitamin C tablets? I'm following the menus you posted a couple of years ago, but perhaps I should also supplement, especially during pregnancy?

You dont need to do tablets if you give a good diet.

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
Congrats. Make sure you follow the things people just said. What's funny is when my Carly lays out, she develops a pear shape which I keep thinking she's pregnant but whenever she's standing, she's not a pear! *Laugh* But her stomach does touch the ground. Unlike Sandy who is also a girl! I've checked.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.