Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

GP Chewing Everything!

T

ttimpany

GP Chewing Everything!

I am a first time Piggy owner, my GP is 9 months old and her name is Lambourguinea. We have guinea-proofed a room for her so she can get exercise daily. There is one problem, we rent an apartment and she has started chewing everything she can get her teeth on to. Doors, Carpet, walls, boxes...etc. Does anybody have any suggestions about what we can do to stop her from destroying the appartment? She has stuff to chew in her cage, but when we let her out she eats everything. She is also always likes to hide under couches and chairs. Our apartment is not big enough to actually fence off an area for her with enough room to run around. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Attachments

wilber2 003.jpg
J

janiexo

suggestions

do u have a hallyway? that's where i play with my pigs. i close all the doors and they run around. there to scared to go very far so its not a problem (they can easily get up or down stairs in my house), but they don't go anywhere unless im there.
as for chewing things, there like little kids they chew on stuff to examine it, and they simply like to chew things. give them some veggies and toys to distract them, it should work.

2steps

Re: suggestions

I have 8 piggies and one of them is a terrible chewer. She chews anything, other than the chew blocks of course!:rolleyes:
she even chewed through one of my bf's shoe laces! and loves to tear up paper. I read (I think on peter gurney's site or books that they dislike the smell of lavender so put a small drop of oil that on my chair legs etc to keep her from them. I'm sure there are other things you could use too.

J

janiexo

just remembered

2steps you reminded me of bitter apple. you could buy it in stores and spray it on stuff you dont want them to chew. most pet stores carry it.

S

semcavylover

gp chewing on everything...

I know you stated that your apartment is not big enough to fence in an area for your guinea pig, but how about using cubes as a border aroung the room so she can't get to the wood, or underneath couches, dressers, etc. This is what I do in the room my kids play in so they are easier to catch, I don't have too much fun trying to crawl underneath the things they like to go under! The hallway idea was a good one as well. Good Luck!

T

ttimpany

Re: gp chewing on everything...

Thanks! Those sre great idea's. Hopefully one of them will work.

P

pregasaurus

Re: gp chewing on everything...

Try going to Home Depot (or wherever) and looking in the scrap piles usually at the back of the store. You can get a small 2 x 2 peice of untreated pine there probably for free. By small I mean about 4" long. Take Lamborguinea's (love the name) favorite veggies and rub it on the wood. This should attract her to it and she should chew on it. There is a possibility that she is chewing by instinct to keep her teeth healthy. You can leave this wood in her cage and bring it out with her at playtime so it becomes a familiar toy.

Hope it works for you. My boys love their wood toys. And they are cheap. :)

T

Tiffcavylover

Re: GP Chewing Everything!

Hey,

I also had the same questions about chewing. My guinea pigs recently chewed through my phone cord and now I have to get a new one. I too have a hard time catching them when they run freely. My place is not so big either. Does anyone know if they have like little play areas that you can buy for them? I know the hamsters and gerbils have them but what about cavies?

Tiffany

S

semcavylover

chewing...

(I know I'm kind of repeating myself, but...) If you use the cubes, you can make a border around a room or a larger pen for them to roam in. Just make sure it isn't the same size as their cage, because that would defeat the purpose. Also while they are running around, make sure you have different kinds of things out that are good for them to chew on, like their huts. I have also heard recently of using a brown paper bag with timothy hay in it. I plan on trying it with my kids! If you go to guineapigcages.com you can find out where you can buy the cubes. We got ours from COSCO, and I know that Targets carry them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.