Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing Is he sick?!

xDardentlove

Cavy Slave
My piggie Joey began sneezing a little bit on Tuesday. He just sneezed every once in a while, not very frequently. I had an appointment for my other boy chandler the next day so I brought Joey along to get checked as well. I had the vet listen to his lungs and heart and I told her about the sneezing. She told me that he was in great condition. That was Wednesday. Today I have seen him sneeze a few times in a row. It seems like he is sneezing much more but that is his only symptom. He has clear eyes, a clear nose, isn't lethargic, is eating and pooping just fine, and seems all around normal and strong.

Should I be worried? He was just seen two days ago and I was told that his lungs sound perfect. No other symptoms either.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
What type of bedding are you using? Also what type and brand of hay do you have? Some hays are really dusty and so are some bedding types.

AllysGuineas

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
It might be your bedding. If your not already using fleece switch to it. This is common with bedding. Thats really all and you shouldn't be concerned.

xDardentlove

Cavy Slave
I use fleece bedding and Kleenmama's hay. I use 2nd cut timothy and blue grass.

ShainaBee

Cavy Slave
He is sneezing like that on fleece already?

When you wash their fleece, it could be the detergent you use if you don't use hypoallergenic.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
It's not a bedding issue. I've found my KM's bluegrass to be a bit dusty here and there. Have you noticed that with yours or with your 2nd cut timothy? If not, then I'd keep a close eye on him for a while and if he starts sneezing a lot again, take him back to the vet. Cavies are great at hiding illness.

I've never used hypoallergenic detergents when I've used fleece. I've also never had a sick pig. I've had my girls sneeze once in a while but it's always been very infrequently.

hydrohoki

Cavy Slave
I had a few sneezes (3 that I was home for) last week after refreshing the hay supply. It was enough to get me paying attention but it appears everyone is fine. I use KM's bluegrass.

Just in case, I'd still weigh twice a week or more and check their noses and eyes for crusties frequently when you are hearing sneezing.

Last edited:

xDardentlove

Cavy Slave
Maybe it is a little dusty. And my detergent is all natural and hypoallergenic. And yeah, every time I hear sneezes I pick him up and check his eyes and nose for crustiness or snot. He is eating, drinking, pooping and moving around just fine. He's being his normal self. So I guess I'll just keep an eye on him. He was just examined by my vet twice this week and they say he's absolutely healthy. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.