Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

First time owner can anyone help me?

SnoopyAnne

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone,

I came across this thread while I was looking up information on Guinea Pigs. I never really thought of having a Guniea Pig myself but my sister has always been into them. She bought one at Petsmart because we were under the impression that, well they were PetSmart. :?: Apparently they weren't because we bought what was supposed to be a male and turned out to be a female. Then she was sick and had scurvy which we found out after we took her to the vet.

Anyway, she began getting better. A little too better and began getting fat. We didn't know what a pregnat Guinea pig looked like so I thought maybe she was just putting on weight. No, she gave birth to two healthy babies and my sister and I both decided to keep one each. I think I got the sexing thing down but I am not sure. I think hers is a girl and mine is a boy.

One major thing I need to now is the truth about the conflicting information I have been hearing about males and seperating them from the females. I read that they are supposed to be seperated at three or four weeks. A book I am reading says that they do not become sexually mature until they are three months old and should be allowed to stay with their mothers until they are five weeks old. In case anyone distrusts the book I am reading it is Animal Planets Guinea Pig Pet Care Book. Which advice do I follow?

Also I would like to know if I remove him from the other two at three weeks will he be done nursing then and move on to drinking regular water and survive fine if he is not with his mother for the remaining two weeks?

And still one more question:melodrama. Do I need to cover the cage on cold nights to keep the guinea pig from getting cold if he is by himself? Or is the hiddy cubby suficiant enough?

Thanks for all the help and I am sure I will have more questions soon.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Follow the advice on this site here or www.guinealynx.info

Most books are out of date or inaccurate. You need to remove the boys at 21 days or risk impregnating mom and any sisters.

Are your guinea pigs housed outdoors? Or is it just cold in your house?

Hidey houses and fleece beds or cozies should be sufficient unless you live in a really cold area. Make sure the cage isn't near a window though.

pennykit&amanda

Cavy Slave
You need to separate the male at 21 days.

He should be able to drink water on his own, and a cozy or blanket might help if you think he'll get cold.

Edit: Didn't see rabbitsncavyluv's post until after posting.

Last edited:

SnoopyAnne

Cavy Slave
Are your guinea pigs housed outdoors? Or is it just cold in your house?

Hidey houses and fleece beds or cozies should be sufficient unless you live in a really cold area. Make sure the cage isn't near a window though.

He is housed inside but at times it does get a little drafty in here but not where I think he may get too cold. I just wanted that information for my mother because she is a little freaky about them getting cold. LOL.

So I should definatly remove the male at three weeks of age. BTW- will it become easier to tell what sex they are when they get a little older?

walleandeva

Cavy Slave
Yes you should definitely remove him from his mother at 21 days. The book you are reading is giving you the wrong information. Have a good look through this website. It will tell you everything you need to know. Good luck.

SnoopyAnne

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I have been browsing and finding excellent information on this site. So he will be completely weened at 21 days and drink water or is there something special I am supposed to do with him the other two weeks?

SnoopyAnne

Cavy Slave
One more question what exactly is a CC cage? My sister is pretty savy about this stuff but she doesn't always explain so I can understand *laugh*

walleandeva

Cavy Slave
A c&c cage is a cubes and coroplast cage like all the ones on this website. I have attached a photo of my cage to give you an idea. There are lots of different shapes and sizes. what type of cage do you have for your piggie just now?

jenniwat001

Cavy Slave
They baby pigs should get Alfalfa hay until they are six months old and unlimited pellets for that time too...this along with a good helping of veggies- see this:

Nutrition: Everything you need to know about a cavy's diet!!! READ ME- Nutrition Charts & Info

should be enough to keep them healthy.

Guinea pigs can be hard to sex. At two week it's bit like what you see is what you get-they don't get easier to sex unless you have a fully grown male with testicles! If you re in any doubt get a vet who is experienced with guinea pigs to sex them for you-you don't want any more accidents! (and yes 21 days is when you should separate the boys and girls)

If you do have one boy he might get lonely so if yo can it might be nice for him to be in a cage next to mum and sister, although you MUST make sure that he can not get to mum and sister (they can jump HIGH when they want to!

Good luck, welcome and don't be afraid to ask- the more you ask the better your pigs life will be!

SnoopyAnne

Cavy Slave
A c&c cage is a cubes and coroplast cage like all the ones on this website. I have attached a photo of my cage to give you an idea. There are lots of different shapes and sizes. what type of cage do you have for your piggie just now?

The one I have right now is a C&C cage just like the one you have in the picture but a little smaller. It is my sisters old cage she is letting me use.

SnoopyAnne

Cavy Slave
If you do have one boy he might get lonely so if yo can it might be nice for him to be in a cage next to mum and sister, although you MUST make sure that he can not get to mum and sister (they can jump HIGH when they want to!

I will try to do as you suggest but the house we are living in right now is kind of small and we are fixing to move into a much bigger one. I was going to have to move him in to my room until we are able to get a living room that will fit them. It won't be too long. *Smiles* Thanks for all the help ladies!

tehdoc809

Cavy Slave
Actually Baby cavies need timothy and alfalfa hay or timothy hay and alfalfa based pellets like mazuri. I Recommend the latter because thay way you aren't buying two different types of hay.

Also becareful with a CC cage because little ones can squeeze though the holes until they are about 2-3 months old, so you'll need to find something you can stick betweent he coroplast and the grids.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.