Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites Guinea pig has ringworm!!!

Piglett

Cavy Slave
My piggie has ringworm on his hip. The spot is red because he scratched off the scab, it has a dark ring on the outskirts of the sore. And it's the same pink in the middle. (I've seen a lot of ringworm cases, particularly on humans). I wanted to know what do I do in the mean time of him going to the vet? (can't take him any sooner than the end of week or weekend) I'm almost 90% sure its ringworm, I couldn't tell until he scratched it off. Also in the mean time what precautions should I take? Should I wear gloves when handling him? I'm also getting ready to change his fleece. Is there any topical OTC cream that I can put on it??

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
This is probably common sense, but you should separate the infected pig from any other pigs you have.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Just for you information rubber gloves aren't going to do a thing, it may help a little but if it's really ringworm they need medication. Ring worm is airborne and can live a long time. It's a fungus and sends out it's spores into the air.

AllysGuineas

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Ringworm is contagious! Separate the pigs!!

Piglett

Cavy Slave
I don't have but one pig. But he lives in my room should I move him out??

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
if you move him it won't matter. He needs to see a vet and get appropriate care especially if you don't want it as well.

Piglett

Cavy Slave
It's implied that I'm going to take him to the vet probably tomorrow or Thursday. What I want to know is in the meantime, is it necessary to move his cage?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.