Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Help with nutrition for mom and baby

nancysuyin

Cavy Slave
Hello, My daughter bought a female guinea pig that was born (the pet store said) 2 month old on feb 2, 2009. We woke to a surprise this morning (4-5-09) a new baby. My daughter is concerned on how to take care of it (she hasn't named it because she wants to know if it is a boy or a girl). Does the mother need special food? or the baby? should she not touch the mother? or baby? (we told her not to play with the mother or baby until we found out more information) Also if this baby is a male when will it become sexually active? when do we need to separate it from its mother? Thank you we use all the information anyone can offer.

tehdoc809

Cavy Slave
If its male he will become sexual active around 21 days old (rougly 3 weeks) and will need to be seperated.

Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig

The baby needs alfalfa hay and access to unlimited pellets and (I think hopefully someone else will correct me if I'm wrong) A More Calcium Rich veggie diet until around 6 months old I think.

I know mom should be getting this stuff too, I'm just not sure as to how long the mom should be getting the special Diet.

Also, if you have them in a C&C cage you'll need to baby proof it becuse the little baby can and probably will venture through the holes in the grids. So I would find something you could stick inbetween the coroplast and the grids to keep baby from getting out.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
The baby needs alfalfa hay and access to unlimited pellets and (I think hopefully someone else will correct me if I'm wrong) A More Calcium Rich veggie diet until around 6 months old I think.
The pup needs grass hay from day one. Alfalfa hay is a supplement but if you are feeding alfalfa based pellets, you don't really need alfalfa hay.

Read some of the other nutrition threads here in this forum. They are all related to either pregancy or newborn pups.

Since this is our newest forum section, I haven't gotten a lot of threads moved in here yet from the other forums.

nancysuyin

Cavy Slave
Is it normal for the mother poops to become bigger after giving birth? aprox. 1/2 times bigger.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.