Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Mite Symptoms

cavy_cuddler

Cavy Slave
I think my guinea pig Ayashe may have mites. I've read the Guinealynx page on mites (https://www.guinealynx.info/furmites.html) and I think she has Cheyletiella parasitivorax. I walked into my room a few days ago and started petting Ayashe, as usual, while I was filling up her hay. Then I noticed a big scab on her back. I took her over to my bed to look at it more closely. It sort of looks like another pig bit her really hard, but my two pigs are separated. I'm pretty positive that my other pig couldn't have gotten her mouth through the holes in the grids and opened her jaws wide enough to bite Ayashe. Ayashe also doesn't seem to be herself. This morning when I refilled her pellets, she sat in her hidey and made a noise like she was tooth chatting at me, but it was slightly different. I backed away a few steps, and she hesitatly came out and ate some pellets. She usually runs out of pellets faster than my other pig, but over the last few days she's slowed down. She also doesn't seem to be as excited anymore when I refill her hay. Normally she will get in your way in her excitement, but now she will just stay in her hidey until it's refreshed. Part of this may be because Ayashe's on a diet, but she still seems to be acting strangely lately. I haven't noticed any excess scratching. Should I take her to the vet to be looked over?

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
It won't hurt to treat with Ivermectin even if it is something else. Guinealynx has information on doses and administering it. You will need multiple doses, and I would treat both pigs even though they are separated. Good luck!

cavy_cuddler

Cavy Slave
Thanks! Do you know of any place that carries Ivermectin?

Today I was spending some snuggle time with the pigs. When I put Ayashe back into the cage, she sneezed twice. After that, I found what looked like mucus, which I doubt is normal. I've also heard Celine make a sneezy, coughy sound. Is it possible for cavies to throw up? I have reason to think she is, because I found a piece of lettuce on the cage ramp and I don't think Celine would have dragged it over there. She has been making that sound for several days. They were at the vet not too long ago for a regular visit and he said that they looked fine except for the fact that Ayashe was overweight.

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
It really sounds like you might want to get at least Ayashe into the vet again-- sneezing, plus the other symptoms sounds like she's got something going on.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
It's physically impossible for cavies to vomit. She could have coughed it up. Coughing in a cavy sounds almost like a human cough. If your pig is sneezing and/or coughing, it's time for another vet visit as she could be coming down with a URI. URI's left untreated can be fatal.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
How much does she weight and how old is she?

Can you post a pic of her?

I'm wary of vets who say your pigs are overweight and you need to diet them. It's a bad idea to do so and many non cavy vets think normal healthy sized pigs look overweight , like they are used to seeing babies only or hamsters.

cavy_cuddler

Cavy Slave
Good news! We just got back from the vet. He said that Celine must have bit Ayashe through the bars several times. He had to shave around the scab, so now she looks weird and is going to have a scar. He gave as some Derma-vet ointment to put on the scab twice a day. He also weighed her and she actually lost some weight. His scale brought her in at 41 ounces, which means that she lost an ounce since the last time he saw her. So it turns out we were worrying unnecessarily, but better safe than sorry!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.