Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage New to C&C cages, please help!

• Thread starter Ilovemypiggies1
  • Start date

Ilovemypiggies1

Cavy Slave
I am a guinea pig lover, i have 2 female guinea pigs currently. They're in a store-bought 40" X 18" cage. (I know, the cage doesn't even correctly fit one guinea pig) so i want to build a new cage for them. The only thing is that i have a very tight budget right now. I was thinking of buying some cheap fleece blankets from either the dollar tree, walmart, or kmart and buying some "Storage cubes" and i was wondering.. do i have to go to a sign shop and buy Choroplast since it is pretty expensive? Can i just buy the cubes and put fleece down as the "bedding"? I would vaccum up the poop once every other day and wash the fleece blankets every 5-7 days. (I'm thinking of making a 30" X 50" or 30" X 62" cage for my 2 piggies. Please help, thank you! :)

moma_freak

Cavy Slave
I don't see a problem with that. I don't have coroplast in my cage, I just put mats (the ones made for kids) down and I sweep it everyday. You can probably also use the cage you have for a "kitchen area". Thats pretty much what I did, it makes it alot easier to clean.

Also if you can check your local thrift shops (GoodWill, Salvation Army ect.) for the cubes, thats how I got most of mine.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
I think you're going to want something totally waterproof, like a shower curtain liner or a vinyl tablecloth, under your fleece. I suppose you could put it under the entire cage, that way the piggies couldn't get to it to chew it.

moma_freak

Cavy Slave
I think you're going to want something totally waterproof, like a shower curtain liner or a vinyl tablecloth, under your fleece. I suppose you could put it under the entire cage, that way the piggies couldn't get to it to chew it.

Yeah I forgot to mention that, I would definately recomend something under it all. I use a vinyl tablecloth under my entire cage.

Ilovemypiggies1

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much! I already have some fleece blankets that i don't use anymore and that i could use. That's such a great idea. I'm going to make a 2 X 5 cage and put a shower curtain under the fleece since it's waterproof and i don't have to worry about their urine getting onto my carpet. Great idea, thanks so much!:D Out to go buy the cubes and shower curtain..i went online and decided that i'm going to get my cubes from Bed Bath and Beyond.

moma_freak

Cavy Slave
Good luck!

Ilovemypiggies1

Cavy Slave
Once i buy everything and get everything all set, i'll take some pictures!

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
Under the fleece you need something absorbent like puppy pads or towels.

Ilovemypiggies1

Cavy Slave
Good news, i went out and got the cubes and a shower curtain linwe...I made the cage and i'm about to put the shower curtain liner down. The cage is 2 cubes x 6 cubes..i hope this isn't too big for my 2 piggies! It shouldn't though, more space, more happier piggies!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.