Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Painful Squeals

chelsemosaurus

Cavy Slave
I took Mr. Sprinkles and Mr. Panda to the vet yesterday for mites. They both got the Ivermectin injections. Mr Sprinkles was the one that had visible signs of mites and he was also put on some antibiotics for a sore on his back that the Vet thought may be infected.

This morning all of the signs he had from mites was much much better and he didn't seem to hate getting the antibiotics, but when I was vacuuming the cage today (like everyday) Mr. Sprinkles started squealing like he was in pain! I vacuum the cage like that everyday so I don't know why he would be freaked out. Was it the mites? How long should it be until the mites stop hurting him?

I'm just confused. Any help is appreciated.

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
Call the vet now and inform him/her of this new change. Painful squealing is not a good sign, and there's a possibility it could be unrelated to the current problem.

chelsemosaurus

Cavy Slave
I've been sitting with him for the last 20 minutes and when he scratches the spot with the sore the sound is really different. So maybe painful isn't the right word, its like he was really scared of the vacuum. Could he be anxious because of the shot, so the vacuum scared him?

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
If he's scratching the sore spot, is it at that time that he's making the unusual sound??? as it's painful to begin with and scratching it might be making it hurt more. If this is the case, ask the vet if wrapping or covering the area with gauze to prevent further injury could help. Please visit Guinea Lynx for information about treatment for mites and use of antibiotics...what's safe vs dangerous, probiotics.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Did you schedule another appointment for you to take them back in a week for another ivermectin dose? They need at least 3 to 4, sometimes more, doses, spaced 7 to 10 days apart to completely cure mites.

You typicallly won't see improvement until after the 2nd dose. You may want to consider buying ivermec yourself and doing it at home.

chelsemosaurus

Cavy Slave
I did schedule the second injection on the 9th day. Should I get some topical stuff and use it after the injection? Everywhere I read about mites said that 2 doses is the typical amount. Is that wrong?

I feel more confused now. :-/

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
It's not unusual for a pig to recieve more than 2 treatments of Ivermectin. It's dependent on how badly your pig is infested. Don't be surprised if you need to return for a 3rd or 4th treatment. I'm also as concerned about the open sores. A pig has fragile skin and infection and abscesses are issues that can develop quickly requiring immediate treatment, so also, keep a close eye on any open sores. In severe cases of mite infestations were the skin is injured, open and raw...steroids are sometimes used to help decrease the inflammation. I don't know how badly the mite infestation is but I would suggest keeping a good eye in the issue. If your piggy seems quite uncomfortable as he's going through treatment ask about metacam to help control discomfort and again ask if wrapping the sores with gauze would help to prevent further injury from occuring.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.