Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Can GPs be on grass that other animals MAY have access to?

freakywheeky

Cavy Gazer
Hi!
I want to take my piggie out for play time when the weather warms up a bit. I have four dogs who wee and poo in the woods. They are not my true concern. We live on secluded property that is surrounded by all different kinds of wildlife. I am unable to monitor what type and when they get into my yard. I have seen deer tracks, and raccoon tracks, and I have seen the occasional squirrel and turkey. Could there presence or defication pose a problem to my grass for my piggie?
And also, what about bugs. Are there certain bugs I should be on the lookout for?
Thanks to anyone who can help!!:silly:

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
It is very likely that the wildlife defecate all over your yard, but if you can find a spot where there doesn't seem to be any poop, then you could try that maybe after you rinse it off or something. I would keep a very close eye on them, and don't let them eat the grass. Or, you could buy a tarp, and make the pen on top of the tarp so they don't have access to the grass at all.

So basically, I wouldn't let them eat the grass, which would be a very hard thing to do, so you should buy a tarp and put that under the pen instead, for safety's sake.

freakywheeky

Cavy Gazer
Thanks for the advice!! I will get a tarp tomorrow!!

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
You're welcome! I'm glad I could help.

Oh, and you can even put some fleece on top of the tarp if you want to to make it more comfortable for them, and to absorb the pee.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.