Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Pregnant? WITH PHOTOS

ShainaBee

Cavy Slave
my female Butter was housed with males when I got her and when I found that out, I have thought she was pregnant ever since.

It feels like she has cherry tomatoes inside a water balloon on each side of her belly, down by her hips and she is pretty pear shaped. It does feel like the two bulges on the side are seperated in the middle (I read to look for that ) She has gotten a little fatter since I've had her (only like a week) but that could just be my eyes messing with me because since she is an Aby is it hard to tell for sure. I also have noticed that her nipples are more noticeable verses when I first brought her home, they seem slighty bigger and not so much hair around them.

I also have started weighing her. Two days ago she weighed 1 pound and 2 ounces.

What is a good way to find out if she is pregnant?

Should I act like she is pregnant just in case?

Here are some photos.

You can see the bulge better on the left side.

That's her belly poking out on the side.

She is constantly laying like this - on her side with her legs all the way out.
I don't know if that means anything.

Help, pleaseeee :'(

Last edited:

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
What about taking her to a Vet?!?! They would know. You can't tell by pictures and she should be seen by a vet and she might have other illness depending on where you got her. Take her to a cavy savy vet.

ShainaBee

Cavy Slave
She doesn't have any illness.
I took her to the vet when I first got her for a wellness check.

I don't need you attacking me over that.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
No one attacked you so chill out.

You honestly can't always tell by photos. In most of the photos you posted (except the overhead view one) you can't tell anything. She doesn't look pregnant to me but she could be if she's in the early stages.

A vet visit would tell you if she is pregnant though.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Does she have soft, cushy things to lay on? They need more than just a hard flat surface to be comfortable. Can't tell from your photos.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Ya, it's pretty hard to tell. How long have you had her for? 6 weeks is usually around the time when they start showing. A vet could most definetly tell you for sure with an ultrasound. In the meantime, try not to pick her up very much, it could end up hurting something since they are pretty fragile while pregnant (if she is). Is she drinking more then usual? They tend to go nuts with their water when they're pregnant. My Pixie used to lay somewhat like that when she was, but it was pretty far into the pregnancy, when she was uncomfortable and didnt feel like walking Good luck.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Is that fleece in the last picture? My boar lays down like that too when he's all relaxed on fleece. He doesn't lay on his side though, he's on his tummy but all stretched out. Yours doesn't look like she's on her side either.

ShainaBee

Cavy Slave
Is an ultra sound the only way to tell? I've only had her about a week or so but she had gained weight in that one week to were it's noticeable. She does tend to drink more water than the other piggies. If she is pregnant, how much weigh do pregnant piggies nrmal gain in a week or so? I will try to avoid picking her up to a while jsust to be on the safe side.

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
Please take my advice, take her to the vet. Even if she is not pregnant at least you know for sure. If she is you can be prepared if she has any complications when delivering.

ShainaBee

Cavy Slave
Please take my advice, take her to the vet. Even if she is not pregnant at least you know for sure. If she is you can be prepared if she has any complications when delivering.

I plan on it but I do not have the money for an ultra sound, no matter how important it is - I cannot afford that. That's why I asked if there was any other ways for vet to tell if she is pregnant.

I feel awful.

ShainaBee

Cavy Slave
Me and Butter have a vet appointment at 11:30 tomorrow morning - I spoke the vet already and he said he will just be able to feel and listen. She will not need an ultra sound. He told me that if she is fat enough for me to think she is pregnant, then if she is - he'll feel babies and hear heartbeats.

I'll update this tomorrow and tell all how it went :)

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Good to hear! Hopefully that will help put your worries to rest and you can plan ahead, no matter the outcome. Do you plan to keep them if she happens to be? Newborns are the sweetest little things!

ShainaBee

Cavy Slave
Um, That's a tough one :)
If she has atleast one girl then yes, I know I cannot keep all of the babies because I have three piggies now with a 14 sq foot cage haha but I would for sure keep one baby - just because it's her offspring and all :) It would be very hard for me to give them all up if she is pregnant.

Once upon a time ago I had rabbits and let just I had a daffy turned daffodil haha then i had baby bunnies everywhere! and I couldn't manage to give any of them up. I stated with two bunnies and ended with 12 haha.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Oh no! lol That's kind of what happened when we had hamsters oh so long ago! When my brother and sister and I were young, my mom thought it would be fun to get us each our own hamsters. There was 3 of them, my mom had gotten them from a friend. They lived together for a while. Lets just say in the end, we had something like 24 hamsters, (they had huge litters!) within a very short amount of time. My mom tried her best lol, but after a while we could keep up with their demands so we had to give some of them away. The ones we kept we had till they passed of old age. Needless to say, mom didnt want to get anymore!

ShainaBee

Cavy Slave
24! haha oh my goodness. I thought 12 bunnies was tough, i cant imagine the mess 24 hamsters made! haha :D

ShainaBee

Cavy Slave
So when I took Butter to the vet he poked all around in her tummy and said he didn't feel anything out of the ordinary and that he didn't believe she was pregnant - but "you never can tell for sure with guinea's.” I still think she is pregnant but we’ll see I guess.
Also, I have some bitter sweet news.
My vet is a very small, close knit one were the client vet relationship is strong. My vet ended up telling me about how one of his other client guinea pig died while giving birth because the family wouldn’t bring her in – and then the family left the only surviving pup in a box outside the vet’s door one morning before they opened. So the vet has had her for about 4 ½ weeks but they could no longer care for her since she was getting older and could eat on her own and they asked me if I wanted her because they didn’t want to take such a young thing to the SPCA. Of course I couldn’t leave there without her.
She is being quarantined right now with a cozy cup, and a stuffed animal buddy – with a fleece blankie over parts of her cage so she doesn’t catch any drafts. She is such a tiny little thing, I weighed her and she only weighed 7 ounces. I’m keeping a very close eye on her – so far she is eating and drinking normal and she’s very active and jumpy when I hold her. I have named her “Holly” she is a solid black Aby with an odd little white spot under her belly.

I’ve never had such a young baby – does anyone have any advice to spare?
I know the basics like – she needs alfalfa hay.

ShainaBee

Cavy Slave
Intoducing, Holly.

Drinking water is her new past time haha - this is her first bottle because the vet had a bowl.
She plays with the metal ball inside.

Her cozy cup.

lmarieaa

Cavy Slave
Aw, how kind of you to take in that cute little piggy! She looks so sweet! The only thing I know about little baby piggies is that they should be given an alfalfa pellet food, like Cavy Performance by Oxbow, because they need the extra nutrients and calcium for growing.
When I first got my female piggy, Basil, I was so sure that she was pregnant! She was just so chubby. The vet told me that she wasn't but I still suspected. A few months passed and there were no arrival of any babies. So she was for sure not pregnant. My boyfriend likes to pick on me from time to time and say "She still pregnant?" Haha! So its very possible she just may be a chubby piggy like my Basil, but you can monitor her through weighing her often to make sure she isn't putting on weight.

ShainaBee

Cavy Slave
Aw, how kind of you to take in that cute little piggy! She looks so sweet! The only thing I know about little baby piggies is that they should be given an alfalfa pellet food, like Cavy Performance by Oxbow, because they need the extra nutrients and calcium for growing.
When I first got my female piggy, Basil, I was so sure that she was pregnant! She was just so chubby. The vet told me that she wasn't but I still suspected. A few months passed and there were no arrival of any babies. So she was for sure not pregnant. My boyfriend likes to pick on me from time to time and say "She still pregnant?" Haha! So its very possible she just may be a chubby piggy like my Basil, but you can monitor her through weighing her often to make sure she isn't putting on weight.

Haha I'm glad to know I'm not the only crazy one out there who suspects theie pig is preg.

My boyfriend is making fun of me as well, one time I was out in the living room and he was in the pig room AKA my bedroom hahaha and he started yelling "omg I see babies, butter is having babies" of course, gullable me came running to him dying of laughter on the floor with her >: | haha

ShainaBee

Cavy Slave
She really is going to be a great addition after quarantine and I baby proof my cage, I don't want her slipping out of any of the holes :) The past couple days have been so bazaar, I think I might be getting one of her siblings as well. The vet called me this morning and said he called the client to tell them I took the baby and they said they have the other baby and want to get rid of "HER!" - another girl, so I don't see why I couldn't take her as well.

As to why they only left Holly at the vet, I have no idea. It makes me quite angry but if the other family is going to give the other little sow to the vet, then she is mine my vet told me.
We will see!

Two precious piggies for no charge, Butter be in perfect health. What could be better?

:)

I do think Holly might have a small case of mites though, her skin is bumpy in some parts and she has dandruff - but she hates being touched or rubbed. She won't allow it and it's so touch to catch such a small little thing : ) haha
Is there anything I could buy to cure her? I don't want to have to keep shuttling her to the vet and back since she just got settled in.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.