PDA

View Full Version : Sick Fact or lie?

Amsley246
03-31-09, 10:17 pm
I once read somewhere a while ago that if you have a sick piggy, you can take droppings from another healthier pig and mix it with some mash and then feed it to the sick one and it's supposed to help out the sick one. I also heard the some people put vicks or something along those lines on their piggy's nose too. Just wanted to know if any of that is valid or not. The vicks thing seems like a far stretch, but would be interesting to know! Thank in advance!

Amsley246
03-31-09, 10:18 pm
Oh yes, and to add to that, the droppings must be only the special ones they have, the ones they store up and then eat later on.

WICavy
03-31-09, 10:42 pm
I once read somewhere a while ago that if you have a sick piggy, you can take droppings from another healthier pig and mix it with some mash and then feed it to the sick one and it's supposed to help out the sick one.

About using a dropping as a probiotic:
http://www.guinealynx.info/probiotics.html

Ly&Pigs
04-01-09, 08:57 am
I once read somewhere a while ago that if you have a sick piggy, you can take droppings from another healthier pig and mix it with some mash and then feed it to the sick one and it's supposed to help out the sick one.Fact, you can use ceceal poo from a healthy cavy as a probiotic although you don't mix it in a mash, you mix it with water and give it that way.

I also heard the some people put vicks or something along those lines on their piggy's nose too. Just wanted to know if any of that is valid or not. The vicks thing seems like a far stretch, but would be interesting to know!While some people think this is an appropriate thing to do, it's not. Please never user Vicks on a pig. It's too strong and it doesn't cure anything.

Nymphae
04-01-09, 09:10 am
Fact, you can use ceceal poo from a healthy cavy as a probiotic although you don't mix it in a mash, you mix it with water and give it that way.

While some people think this is an appropriate thing to do, it's not. Please never user Vicks on a pig. It's too strong and it doesn't cure anything.

Oh, that's a good one! Would it help to regulate a Guinea Pigs stool when it has diarrhea too? I mean, it makes sense to me that it would..

CavySpirit
04-07-09, 12:39 pm
As Ly mentioned, Vicks does nothing at all to cure a guinea pig of a URI. It merely masks a symptom and it definitely should not be applied topically to the animal as it is not an oral medication, and at least one pig died from ingesting it from a broken tube.

Amsley246
04-07-09, 08:12 pm
Thanks everyone! I knew the vicks thing had to be a dud, I can hardly stand putting in on my self! In fact, when my son has a cold I mix it up with a bit of clear vaseline first so it doesnt "burn" his skin as he says lol. They thing I read it off of was I beliee yahoo (when someone has question). Someone said they did it when "their piggy as a cold" which we all know piggies don't get colds. I would like to know where that person is putting it first off and if their piggy is even still alive now. It was a really old post. Oh well, thanks again everyone!

rabbitsncavyluv
04-07-09, 08:24 pm
Oh, that's a good one! Would it help to regulate a Guinea Pigs stool when it has diarrhea too? I mean, it makes sense to me that it would..

Diarrhea is serious. If your pig has it, you need to rush him or her to the vet.