Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Gadget update

3kidsmom

Cavy Slave
First thank you to everyone on the boards for their advice and help. Gadget has had 2 babies so far this morning but we lost one, he was gone when we came down this morning, so sad he was beautiful. We tried briskly rubbing him with a towel and trying to see if there was any life in him but there wasn't. The other one seems to be nice and healthy, I am going to read through and find what I should be offering both him and mama Gadget at this point. Any quick advice in this area would be great, thank you.

Please see this thread for the back story. Thanks, Ly
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-guinea-pigs/42786-same-old-story-apparently.html

Last edited by a moderator:

claire

Cavy Slave
I've never dealt with babies so I can't offer you advice there, but congratulations to both you and Gadget. So sad that one was lost but your little girl has done well.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Aww! Congrats! That 's sad she lost one, but at least one made it through. Just let nature take it's course, mama knows what to do! You can change then over to Alfafa Hay or Pellets, either one will do, but you don't have to do both. Of course, keep their cage clean and plenty of veggies like before. Lots of Piggy love!

clotho

Cavy Slave
I am sorry to hear you lost one of the babies. Unfortunately this happens a lot :(

Please weigh Mom and baby each day and keep track to make sure they are doing ok. Mom may lose a bit of weight but then should stabilize, and the baby should start gaining weight each day. That is how you will know the baby is thriving.

If you give them alfalfa hay, it will be a supplement - you will need to still give them timothy hay as well. I found it easier to give them extra calcium through their veggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.