Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Is she pregnant?

hilary

Cavy Slave
My female guinea pig Cubie who I took from a friend who could no longer care for her is getting larger. She was chubby when I first got her at the end of January, but I've noticed a lot of pigs are. Though recently I feel like she's gotten more "pear shaped" which I've read could mean pregnancy. She has a friend now named Sugar and I was told by the animal shelter that she is definitely a girl, without a doubt. She was relinquished by an owner who had many guinea pigs and could no longer care for them, so I'm sure she's a girl. Though I thought about it more recently and it just seems like she's getting bigger. Obviously if Sugar is a girl it's not a possibility she's pregnant, I know that. Maybe Sugar was sexed wrong I'm not sure. Should I be worried? I felt her sides and I don't feel any kicks, but the "lumps" on her sides feel squishy. Could it be an absess or lump instead?

IMG_0002-1.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg

elchulo

Cavy Slave
yes she is pregnant it reming me of mines she just gave birth two babies and she had two balls on her sides just like yours... and can u post some pics of sugar to see if she is a girl or a male and so u can figure out males has a line and a dot on top and females has a Y shape...

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I disagree. She isn't necessarily pregnant. A vet could tell you for sure but as sows age, they do get pear shaped. I don't see anything abnormal. Have you been weighing her?

Have you checked Sugar over though? Some shelters do missex pigs.

hilary

Cavy Slave
Hmmm, I see. She was pretty big when I got her anyways, like I said chubby. No I have not been weighing her, though I know I should be and now I'm thinking about going to Target and getting a cheap kitchen one.

I tried checking over Sugar though I can't tell whether she's a boy or girl. I pushed above the genital area but nothing protruded. Though maybe I didn't push hard or long enough? I checked Cubie too and she looked the same as Sugar. Would posting a picture help?

elchulo

Cavy Slave
yes it will help posting some pics

hilary

Cavy Slave
Here are the pics of Sugar.

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

elchulo

Cavy Slave
it look like a female cuz i have 3 females they look like that if your guinea pig is pregnant witch i think she is she must have gotten before they gave it to u it takes 10 weeks to give birth when grab her put your hands on the side if u feel some kicking is the baby then she is pregnant and she will be giving birth soon but if she not pregnant it might be a tumor u should take her to the vet as soon as possible....

hilary

Cavy Slave
I researched on guinealynx and I'm thinking it's a benign fatty tumor (lipoma), the description fits. That is if Sugar is a girl which I'm pretty sure she is now that I have checked.

threepigs

Cavy Slave
Hi I'm the one who owns Cubie Sugar and Batali! They are so sweet come and get Sugar:)! Sugars naughty!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.