PDA

View Full Version : Size Cage Size

Deb's4Pigs
03-27-09, 11:03 pm
My cage is 2x7 and I am going to add a 2x2 or 2x3 kitchen. I have 4 girls right now, but I was thinking of rescuing one or two more. The Downey Shelter just had 13 dropped off. So, I was wondering if my cage would be big enough for one or two more babies. My other problem is I don't know if I'll have time on Monday to go there. I have no idea how to get there.

hilary
03-28-09, 09:27 am
According to this page, Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home (http://www.guineapigcages.com/index.htm), a 2x6 is the right size for four piggies. You should ask someone on here who has five or six guineas what size their cage is. Maybe that page will help, sorry I couldn't give you more advice.
Try using mapquest or google maps to find directions to the shelter, if you drive. I'm sure there will still be the guinea pigs there on Tuesday, even Wednesday and so on. 13 is a lot.

rabbitsncavyluv
03-28-09, 06:49 pm
A 2 by 7 is the recommended size for 5 but bigger is better. Downey is a county shelter. The pets usually do not have long. I wouldn't count on any LA shelter holding a guinea pig past 3 or 4 days.

Skinny Pig
03-28-09, 06:52 pm
I think that mapquest would be the easiest way to find anything. Wow, 13 guinea pigs! My shelter has only ever had 2.

cavychuck
03-28-09, 07:08 pm
I would say per the homepage gride that 2x7 without 2x2 kitchen would be enough room for 5. I would expand it to a 2x8 with 2x2 kitchen if you have room for a 2x10 total cage.

Deb's4Pigs
03-28-09, 10:38 pm
I just found out today that they are closed Sunday and Monday, and those are my days off. I can't take a day off work to go get them. I asked if someone would be coming my way of course they said "no". When I got my last rabbit someone brought her from the East Valley Shelter to the West Valley Shelter for me. I'm trying with some rescues to see if someone can bring her to the San Fernando Valley.